My DIY is Complete - Umbrella

Something that works a little better than tinfoil is an emergency blanket. They are a more durable and are more reflective.

Something that works a little better than tinfoil is an emergency blanket. They are a more durable and are more reflective.
I Was thinking about doing something like this and using the emergency blanket..lol...looks awsome though.

heres a shot done with the umbrella

20081004-x9ukcig6hr9sn1qapf53wjg8g3.jpg

It's very dark still, you should be getting more light from an umbrella. What kind of light bulb did you use?

I Was thinking about doing something like this and using the emergency blanket..lol...looks awsome though.

You can't go wrong with emergency blankets. They really are for emergencies, photographic emergencies. They are like a folded up 6x6' mirror that you can keep with you at all times.

It's very dark still, you should be getting more light from an umbrella. What kind of light bulb did you use?

He said in another thread that he a purposely underexposed, so it might just be that he underexposed, not because of his umbrella.

why would i do that, i have one.. not to sure why your being a jack ass

Mom always said to do what you do best.

BTW, to be fair, that tripod wasn't *actually* free. It was just otherwise unused. You could probably factor in another $20 for a very cheap tripod, however.

Just curious... why the choice for silver? I thought the common choice was white. I would think silver would result in a harsher effect than a white umbrella. (NOTE: I'm really still learning on lighting stuff, so forgive me if its a stupid question)

Mom always said to do what you do best.

BTW, to be fair, that tripod wasn't *actually* free. It was just otherwise unused. You could probably factor in another $20 for a very cheap tripod, however.

Just curious... why the choice for silver? I thought the common choice was white. I would think silver would result in a harsher effect than a white umbrella. (NOTE: I'm really still learning on lighting stuff, so forgive me if its a stupid question)

White would provide somewhat of a softer effect, but you would have to use a very powerful flash bulb. When using a less powerful flash you have to make the inner surface of the umbrella more reflective to still get the same power.

White would provide somewhat of a softer effect, but you would have to use a very powerful flash bulb. When using a less powerful flash you have to make the inner surface of the umbrella more reflective to still get the same power.

That makes sense. Is there that much loss? I always kind of figured you'd lose 1-2 stops.

That makes sense. Is there that much loss? I always kind of figured you'd lose 1-2 stops.

There can be that much loss. It's best to keep a reflective inner surface because you can always turn the flash down, but you can never get it past its limit.

^^^ what he said... i tried with white.. and it did help some, but i', actually not a huge fan of the whole "soft look" its just not my sortta thing.. the silver gave the look i was looking for...

as I said, this was just a project i did because I have a shoot coming up and all the local stores dont carry umbrellas, you have to order them.. and they take 3 weeks (at least) to get in.. I ordered a 50mm 1.8 in June.. its still not here.. annoying thing is it's paid for already... otherwise, I would go with somewhere else...

I found out yesterday that I have to go to Toronto on October 10th, 1 day before the shoot I built this umbrella for... so I'm going to go to henry's and pick up some umbrellas... a white shoot through, black bounce back and a silver as well... if they have stands on sale, I will buy one, but if not, I'll just stick to using the tripod... I snapped all braces off the legs, so all 3 legs are free moving now, which makes it great for manouvering...

Most reactions

Back