My DIY is Complete - Umbrella

I, too just DIY'd an umbrella. This thread gave me the go-ahead to "just do it". I'm in the same boat really - got a commercial shoot on Tuesday and can't make it to the city beforehand. Not sure i'll need one but thought i'd make one just in case.

Umbrella: £4
Tin Foil: £1
Spray Glue: In Stock :)
Stand: My flash stand (old Mic stand)

(I actually bought 2 umbrellas, so might do the other one as well)

DSC_6192.jpg

Quick shot.
DSC_6194.jpg

oh yeah, it's folds up without ripping.

I actually made a DIY audio flash trigger for a 'liquid energy' series I shot.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Any whoo, I made the trigger for about $30 and the flash was actually just an old DJ Strobe for a club or party. I didn't have money at the time to invest in much so I did what I could with what I had. I think it worked out quite well.

My backdrop support is actually a couple of microphone stands and some rope.

As for the umbrellas, it's sort of fun to make it yourself, stop by goodwill or salvation army and pick up a couple of green/blue/ whatever you want. They actually make some nice diffused instant gels. Lol. Oh, and check hobby lobby or a place like that for mylar. I know that would be a half way cheap way to make a gold umbrella. Just a thought.

Damn that's cool!

Smithphoto, do you have any plans for that audiotrigger you're willing to share? I've always wanted one, but I'm half afraid I'd blow my cameras circuitry on the first attempt :p

Damn that's cool!

Smithphoto, do you have any plans for that audiotrigger you're willing to share? I've always wanted one, but I'm half afraid I'd blow my cameras circuitry on the first attempt :p

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKQT1

Theres a link on there somewhere to the circit diagram. If you're not real techy then theres also a pre made kit you can order but they tend to run over $100 bucks. Another option is E-Bay. Some people have built the kits and are selling them for around $60. At least that was the case months ago. Who knows now.

diy>all

surprised no one has start a "post your DIY projects" thread... I would but Ive been a bit of a postwhore today

Most reactions

Back