My Faerie Photos :)

as far as critiques go... watch your bacgrounds. Especially in #2 and #3.

I think the best is #1 but it would have been better if you hadn't cropped part of the statue off.

Replies like this are the reason I waited as long as I did to ever post any photos here. I think a lot of people here forget that everyone is at a different place in their education and experience. The OP stated in her "welcome to the forum" post that she is a photography student. Students experiment; it's the only real way to learn what works and what doesn't. Now, obviously most of the above didn't work well but there is a difference between constructive criticism and just putting down someone.

So, here's my (completely amateur) C&C:

- Definitely get a calibrator for your monitor. They can be picked up very cheap second hand and make a HUGE difference in displaying actual colors and brightnesses (if that's even a word). This will probably help you get that "bright" look without washing out too much of the overall detail.

- It was stated above but watch your backgrounds. It takes more than blurring the background to make an image pleasant. Remove any oddball items that aren't related to your shot before you press the shutter because even if you have enough bokeh to make them "blend in," they usually aren't the same color as the rest of the background and are considered a distraction.

- Study, study, study! Read everything you can about exposure and composition and then read it again. You'll be amazed at what you'll pick up a second time through a book. And be careful of YouTube; there's some good info in video format there, but there's also a lot of junk.

- Do the shoots you have scheduled, but be completely upfront with you client about your experience and abilities. A lot of pros / advanced amateurs here balk at the idea of taking a photo of another human being until you have an intimate knowledge of exposure and composition but much can be learned by doing. Do some reading and go out there and try the techniques. Again, be honest with your subject about the fact that you are learning and experimenting. This is especially important if you are going to be compensated for your work. If you can find a pro who is kind enough to let you apprentice or maybe even second shoot with them, do it. Experience is second only to knowledge.

Good luck in your future works and don't give up. Remember, Mozart is not famous for his first piece, just the best ones after he had been doing it for some time!

---Chris

Most reactions

New Topics

Back