My first attempt at HDR

^^^ Ann what myshkin said - please don't let a difference of opinion chase you away, someone has to ask the pointed question(s) - there would be no use for these forums if people could not have an honest difference of opinion and agree to disagree. As I said in a previous reply, you have raised the question of when HDR should or should not be used - the "normal" picture was also posted so you can comment on that one versus the HDR version. Please remember though that for me it was, as I have said, an experiment to try it (HDR) out to see what would happen, sort of like going to the store and trying out a new lens or a new camera, or test-driving a new car - I was trying out a technique I had never tried before - whether or not it was an appropriate usage, well I guess that is up to me and the viewers to decide if they like the result or not - there is a lot I liked about it and some things I did not like about it - maybe my expectations were too high for the first time, but I do agree that anyone has the "right" to question whether it is appropriate usage of the technique or not. To be honest with you, I look at some of the images posted on other threads in this forum and threads in other HDR forums and sometimes my response is "okay, is this really giving you what you want" - "so what is HDR doing for you on this one", or "this one is really overdone (overcooked was one person's expression)", not unlike your response/question, I just don't have the guts to ask ;) :lol:.

Regards,

WesternGuy

P.S. I have also recently run across something called the "Orton" effect and now for my next experiment...:lol:

Im truly sorry Ann. I think we are talking cross purpose here. Asking for the original file is often required to figure out where the HDR image is coming from. But if I was in the B&W forum and someone said it would probably be better in color, while true, is really a mute point since its the B&W forum. In the Bird forum suggesting maybe the pic could look better if it was a butterfly instead is also mute since its not the butterfly forum. In the HDR forum suggesting the pic would be better if it wasnt an HDR just seems kind of obtuse to me since it is the HDR forum. I hope we can just drop this and move on. Anything I say is just my opinion so take that for what its worth.

WesternGuy you mention Orton Effect. Unlike HDR, Orton Effect works ok in some instances like wooded leafy scenes. But for the most part its just degrading the image to a blurry mess. Its a style you have to either like or not. In my opinion.

Bynx, the Orton effect is just something I have discovered recently and haven't had a chance to even read up on to any extent, but I am an experimenter by nature, so when I hear about new things I file them away in the back of my mind, what's left of it...and carry on. Whether it will work for me, or not, remains to be seen, so I guess I will see if I like it or not at some point, but need to check it out some more to see what is needed and why, but this is getting way off topic. I think we have beat the daylights out of my posting so far, so I guess I will go and look at some of the newer ones here and take what was said and put it to work for my next attempt at HDR.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

that fornoobs, thanks for your kind comment. They are appreciated.

coolfunweb, I am not sure what you mean by your comment, perhaps you would care to expand on it. Thanks....

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back