My First Attempt At Photography - 2012 Idaho Regatta

wolfie1961

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's my first attempt at really shooting an event.
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (277).JPG
$Idaho Regatta Saturday (161).JPG
$Idaho Regatta Saturday (50).JPG
$Idaho Regatta Saturday (47).JPG
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (1074).JPG
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (799).JPG
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (797).JPG
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (772).JPG
$2012 Idaho Regatta Sunday (361).JPG
$Idaho Regatta Saturday (467).JPG

Nice set of images, the content is all there, and if you're shooting from the shore the choice of better angles were probably limited. They do look like they were cropped a lot. I'd be happy with any of these.

I'd suggest leaving more room in front of the boats. It leaves space for them to be moving into. I know this isn't a boat but, you can see what I'm talking about. It's subtle, but moves the car slightly off center, giving the impression of somewhere for the car to go. Nice shots, BTW.

View attachment 82124

I'd suggest when you move to a different location at a venue that you think about the vantage point and notice the backgrounds before you take the photo(s) so you don't get someone's backyard clutter in your picture! lol Especially if the background is closer to the action, it may not be as noticeable from a distance. You got some nice photos - I like the one of red P9 and the ones before that where they're kicking up some spray, gives a nice feel for the action.

I'd suggest when you move to a different location at a venue that you think about the vantage point and notice the backgrounds before you take the photo(s) so you don't get someone's backyard clutter in your picture! lol Especially if the background is closer to the action, it may not be as noticeable from a distance. You got some nice photos - I like the one of red P9 and the ones before that where they're kicking up some spray, gives a nice feel for the action.

Thanks for the info... it was hard trying to get a good vantage point. Since the island they race around is off limits, you have only one place on the shore. It's very limited at that venue (although one of the best venues for circle boat racing!). The hardest thing I found, was trying to get to a spot where some ass doesn't decide to walk in front of you.

After that race, the race committee chair used some of my shots on their website/facebook. I've gotten to know her through e-mails. We didn't get to make it this year, but I think the next one she's going to let me take some shots from one of their boats and their officials stand.. Should get me a little closer to the action.

I'd suggest leaving more room in front of the boats. It leaves space for them to be moving into. I know this isn't a boat but, you can see what I'm talking about. It's subtle, but moves the car slightly off center, giving the impression of somewhere for the car to go. Nice shots, BTW.

View attachment 82124

Nice shot! Give me some ideas!! THanks.

Most reactions

Back