My first attempt at star trails

Redtech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jenniferpugh.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know I did a number of things wrong, but this is my first attempt. I look forward to trying again but I'll need someone to keep me company next time.

It was a 30 minute exposure at f8. I had a hard time seeing anything through the view finder so it looks like my focus could have been better (I don't have a lens with infinity) and I had a decent bit of light pollution from the neighbors barn lights 1/4 mile away. It also wasn't a totally clear sky. I increased the exposure and the clarity but nothing else.

Next time, I'll take more time getting setup and get a better view through the viewfinder, do more research on how to get as close to infinity with the lens I have, and find a place to setup where it will be darker. Oh, and find someone to sit with me. There were lots of animals rustling around and I tend to start remembering clips out of horror movies when I'm outside in the dark.

$DSC_8640-3.jpg

It's not bad for a first attempt, but here's some pointers from my personal experience-

-I like to include something in the foreground, maybe a barn, trees, anything to grab attention. This can actually get really fun, because you can then light paint parts of the foreground and get really neat images.
-Relating to the previous point, if you use a wider angle and have elements in the foreground it is easier to focus. Manual focus is a must
-When I do star trails, it is my preference to make a composite of 30 sec to 1 min exposures, rather than one long one.
-White balance looks off to me. Maybe take a gray card along next time.

Again, just personal opinions, but maybe you can glean something useful. Light trails and night shooting are extremely fun and rewarding, so keep trying at it
-

Great work on the star trails :)

Thanks Blue streaks. I've jotted down your pointers. I'm looking forward to trying again. I do have a creepy old barn on my property.

Thanks EC1981. :)

Here are two great resources to check out.
This is by Sw1tchFX,
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/276016-shooting-night-pictures-stars-stuff.html

This is by Manaheim,
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...naheims-ultimate-guide-night-photography.html

Both are great tutorials by our own members. There is a plethora of information and help within them and if you have a tablet device you could access them while out taking your star trail photos and then use them to reference. I hope they help. I know they helped me. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back