My first attempt - it's just a sea gull

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I found time to sit outside and play with the camera, learn how to use it.

I saw a sea gull, so thought ah ho have a go.

It is my first attempt - and it is only a sea gull - no time to think, it landed, click, it flew.

Comments welcome.

Sea_Gull_Chimney.jpg

RAW - ISO 400 - F/16.0 - 1/250
Lense - Canon EF-S 75-300 mm f/3.5-5.6 DCIII - 300mm

Last edited:
Thank you Jeff15

I agree, the focus I think is more to the lower part of the bird and the cowl, causing the head to be out of focus.

As I was playing with the camera, learning the controls, I had just set the AF points to centre point only, taking a quick shot I think that may be the focus point was a little lower than it should be.

Prior to the gull landing I had been comparing focus on sky and roof/chimney in the distance, the dark tiles and the lighter sky causing big differences.

As stated I am new and learning. I didn't want a brighter sky to make a bird look darker on the image, and wasn't sure at that point if I focused on the roof, or cowl, how that would affect light, should a bird land there. I had seen one earlier this was why I was playing with settings just before this one landed and it didn't stop long.

Any suggestions and comments from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Hi PJ, not a bad shot but you will get better. With the 1300D stick it on spot metering and try aperture f8.

Hi PJ, not a bad shot but you will get better. With the 1300D stick it on spot metering and try aperture f8.

Thanks Fujidave, I did have it on the centre spot only, I called it setting the AF point to centre, spot metering is a good term for it. As I say I am just learning.

I think having it set on the centre point and taking the shot quickly, it has focused on the cowl and birds feet, I just needed to be that little bit higher. I guess another issue could be learning the camera with items that can move unpredictably, (as the gull did), before learning with still objects.

Am I right in thinking I made the right choice with AF point to centre, spot metering using centre point? I just didn't quite get the focus at the right point on the bird.

I will try a similar shot when I can, using F/8.0 Do you think the ISO 400 was alright, or would ISO 200 be better for this shot? I didn't want the front of the bird to be darkened by sky behind which although not bright sun was brighter.

Thanks Fujidave, I did have it on the centre spot only, I called it setting the AF point to centre, spot metering is a good term for it. As I say I am just learning.

I think having it set on the centre point and taking the shot quickly, it has focused on the cowl and birds feet, I just needed to be that little bit higher. I guess another issue could be learning the camera with items that can move unpredictably, (as the gull did), before learning with still objects.

Am I right in thinking I made the right choice with AF point to centre, spot metering using centre point? I just didn't quite get the focus at the right point on the bird.

I will try a similar shot when I can, using F/8.0 Do you think the ISO 400 was alright, or would ISO 200 be better for this shot? I didn't want the front of the bird to be darkened by sky behind which although not bright sun was brighter.

If the 1300D is anything like my old Canon 70D, you should be able to change the metering to spot as I always called it that. Spot is the best for wildlife I use to find but that was just for me. On the iso try and keep it low during the clear sunny days, but if it`s cloudy then go to about 400 iso.

If the 1300D is anything like my old Canon 70D, you should be able to change the metering to spot as I always called it that. Spot is the best for wildlife I use to find but that was just for me. On the iso try and keep it low during the clear sunny days, but if it`s cloudy then go to about 400 iso.

I have a lot to learn but think I was part way there. I used single point, centre spot, of the 9 available, my thoughts were to try prevent light from sky affecting the shot of the bird.

I used ISO 400 as it was early evening and the sun was dropping, I did wonder if I should have used ISO 200 but at this stage I would not have changed it fast enough. Thanks for your help. Comments from all members are always welcome, it helps the learning curve.

I have a lot to learn but think I was part way there. I used single point, centre spot, of the 9 available, my thoughts were to try prevent light from sky affecting the shot of the bird.

I used ISO 400 as it was early evening and the sun was dropping, I did wonder if I should have used ISO 200 but at this stage I would not have changed it fast enough. Thanks for your help. Comments from all members are always welcome, it helps the learning curve.

I think you will do just fine, imo the members here are very helpful indeed that`s why I love it so much here.

Most reactions

Back