My first DSLR, experiment photo

Kusca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently purchased a new A700, and I also picked up a Sony 35mm f/1.8 to compliment, my Minolta beercan lenses, which I took a photo of. Remember this is one of my first photos I ever took, and I have not been able to leave the house yet and play around with the camera yet (might do that today). I was wondering how well I shot without any PP (I imported it into light room, and exported as a JPEG, nothing else was done to it). How is the exposure, and white balance, and focus?

5307427090_9c0e8aaede_b.jpg
Shot at ISO 200 f/1.8 at 1/5 sec exposure on Aperture priority

Please critique, but please remember this is one of the first photos I ever took with a SLR.

Not bad, first thing I notice is your 70-210 is in focus but your 28-85 isn't... watch your aperture so you can control the depth of field to keep your subjects in focus.

How do you like the 'Air'?

Not bad. Nice to see another Sony user. The pic may be a tad too high in contrast but I see you've used the ROT or was that an accident?

The sooner you get the hang and move to full manual mode (M) the better you'll be.

RjL

WB looks a little warm (probably just your incandescent lighting), could use a bit of sharpening. The reflection of the white thing in the background is making the lens blend into it. Edge of the table is a little distracting.

Composition looks pretty good, though I would probably crop it to even out the empty space above and below the lenses.

I don't know what you really expected from us by posting this, if it was just you testing out your new camera.

Not bad, first thing I notice is your 70-210 is in focus but your 28-85 isn't... watch your aperture so you can control the depth of field to keep your subjects in focus.

How do you like the 'Air'?

I love the Air keeps my bag light.

Two of the best lenses from that era of Minolta glass (with the 28-85 being a real sleeper that most people overlook). The 28-85 is my walk-around lens on my Sony dSLR and I use the lens hood from my 70-210 all the time on it.

As for the photo posted, I agree that you need to watch the DOF a bit, and a slight adjustment in the WB. The 35mm on the a700 works like the 50mm on the FF bodies and gives a nice shot. The 28-85 makes a very nice portraiture lens with the only drawback being they are a bit slow so you need decent lighting.

Not bad. Nice to see another Sony user. The pic may be a tad too high in contrast but I see you've used the ROT or was that an accident?

The sooner you get the hang and move to full manual mode (M) the better you'll be.

RjL

Yes and no, I actually did not know what ROT was till you mentioned it, but realized I was essentially trying to do the same thing.

I did some slight PP in LR, not much I can do about DOF now, but I fixed the WB a bit, and cropped it a bit.
5307072477_419d7bc258_b.jpg

I cannot believe how much of a difference the white balance made.

I did some slight PP in LR, not much I can do about DOF now, but I fixed the WB a bit, and cropped it a bit.

I cannot believe how much of a difference the white balance made.

I too have an a700. When I can actually compose/plan my shots I either set the white balance manually or use a grey card for post processing later. I used to find the challenge of setting it manually fun. But since I started using proper grey cards and can batch process the whole session, I find myself using the grey card more often.

When it is spontaneous stuff, I set the WB for the general temperatures I am dealing with and do any polishing when I PP the shots. When I'm being spontaneous, I'm usually in situations where light changes so dramatically that fine tuning right then defeats the point of spontaneity. Sometimes, I even go AutoWB. :)

You have a great camera, paired with some great Minolta glass. Listen to it. You are set till you get bit by the Zeiss bug. Then, you will doing odd jobs to feed your addiction. :)

Cheers!

Most reactions

Back