My first ever model shoot ... C&C?

iolair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I found a local TfCD model through Model Mayhem, scouted some locations, and arranged a shoot yesterday ... it was a great learning experience! Directing a model was a whole new experience for me, we did come up with some decent poses I think (plus some awkward ones that didn't make it as far as editing). However, I think I maybe paid less attention to camera settings than usual as I was distracted by posing ... well, as I said it was a great learning experience, and I'll certainly go into my next shoot (TBA) more confident and a little wiser.

Anyway, here's a selection ... any C&C welcomed.

Charlotte by Neil Gratton, on Flickr

:)

Did you use off camera flash? Her legs look pretty blue compared to her face.

Yes ... depending on the shot, zero, one or two off-camera flashes.

1 and 4 were natural light only.
2 natural light plus a flash causing those obvious shadows
3 natural light plus a single flash behind her to the left of the camera
5 and 6 natural light plus two kickers behind the arch left and right.

Pretty good man. I would probably put the light on the other side on #2 so the shadow wont be on the wall. And I probably wont cut off or avoid graffiti-ed words like that because you want to know what it says.

#5 is the only one that really jumps out to me. the contrast and lighting are really nice and the pose is flattering. one nitpick would be to brighten up her legs, they seem a little dark.

#1 is nice too, using some kind of catch-light would really pull attention to her eyes. even without, just bumping up saturation and color in her eyes would help.

Great poses! Nice location! Why a flash?
Hmm good question actually ... in retrospect the light was good enough in there I would probably have been better without. But the real answer is that, as my first model shoot, I was experimenting rather and trying a few different things to see what worked. Next time I shoot I'll go with a more fixed concept or objective in mind, and I think when I use that location again I'll stick with natural light.

Pretty good man. I would probably put the light on the other side on #2 so the shadow wont be on the wall. And I probably wont cut off or avoid graffiti-ed words like that because you want to know what it says.
I started with the flash the other side, but then decided to make the most of the effect of the shadow - this one made the best of the shadow, though I couldn't work out the colours in the photo to my satisfaction:

I take your point on showing all the grafitti (or avoiding it) - it had been my intention to include the whole grafitti (STOP RACISM!) in the shot, but I couldn't get it to work in a composition without making the subject too small a part of the frame ...

Try it again but try a different time of day, early morning or and hour before sunset. If you have an assistant take a reflector with you.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back