My first family even shoot - C&C would be greatly appreciated

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After seeing once of my projects that I was handing in for school that night, a co-worker asked me if I would be free to shoot her son's confirmation this past weekend.

I thought it was a great opportunity, so I jumped at the chance. I sat with her ahead of time to get an idea of what she was looking for and in her words, seeing as she is italian, her family was looking for more formal, standard family pictures of the various families with her son. Nothing too complicated.

It was raining Saturday morning, the sky cleared up to give me a bright sun and nasty shadows for the outside church pictures. I also followed them to the hotel / restaurant they had their meal at and snapped some pictures there as well, but the light was horrible. Man, how you pros do it is beyond me.

It was my first time trying to place and pose groups of people, dealing with people who say they know what they are doing, crowd control, worrying about backgrounds and the whole thing.

I shot about 80 pictures, of which I'm giving her 30 that are pretty nice. Here are a few that I think are noteworthy. Even thought she wanted simple straight up portraits, I tried to do a little more interesting things.

Love to hear what you all think, good or bad. Thanks!

1. The family
3587305210_9052b2a10c_b.jpg

2. The aunt, uncle and cousins. A bit low of a crop, and the guy in the back right is a bit hidden
3586505419_1596b72231_b.jpg

3. The boy and his sister, gust of wind hitting her hair. Is her top of head to cut off?
3587305218_a313a6a146_b.jpg

4. The boy with his cousins/sister in the back. A bit busy background
3587305230_08d9452baf_b.jpg

5. Boy, sister and father. Different perspective
3587305234_50a4618a1f_b.jpg

6. All the kids hanging out at the piano
3587305240_2d9895f2e3_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!! :D

Oh my, great shots. I wouldn't worry too much about losing some of her hair in #3; a more common mistake is to be too far away from your subject when doing close-up portraits. Sometimes a good idea is to just take two or three steps toward the person, and take the shot when you feel like something is missing. But I ramble; this doesn't really apply. The most important thing is that you caught a wonderful moment in time with the hair blowing.

I love #4; it's an interesting perspective, and placing the young boy in front makes him look on par with the rest of them, which is lost in #6. Definitely something I'll remember for my own photography. His face is a little overexposed to my eye in #4, but I really only mean a little. In that case I think I'd much rather see a little overexposure than having his face be even with the rest. Sure that BG is a little busy; that might be solved by picking a different angle.

Thanks for the comments.

In deed, I remembered from a tip I read here to shoot in portrait and landscape and different ranges and angles. So I tried to get different shots and this one worked the best.

The boy was on his way to get with the others (#6) and I asked him to stop. Thought it would be interesting seeing as its his day.

Was hard battleing the crap lights. I had a diffuser on my 430ex, which is why I guess his face is overexposed. I'll try and keep subject to flash distance in mind

I like b/w the best, nice reflection :)
btw, try also when not everyone looks at you, but also at each other, then there will be such invisible lines for our eyes to follow.

You mean a mix of people looking at me and some not? I did take one where I had the boys look at the girls and the girls at the boys, but no one looking at the camera.

Great shots you have here. Only thing I would actually try to fix is post-processing the male with the long hair who's face has a little bit of 'splatter red'.

However sometimes clients want themselves to stay 'as is'. Maybe consult them about it first? But as said already, great shots.

Great shots you have here. Only thing I would actually try to fix is post-processing the male with the long hair who's face has a little bit of 'splatter red'.

However sometimes clients want themselves to stay 'as is'. Maybe consult them about it first? But as said already, great shots.

I'll probably just leave it as is unless requested to change it. I don't mind doing PP to enhance an image, but not to change the look of someone, unless as you said, I am asked to.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back