My first m43 – in need of tips/tricks

Akvavit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered myself a Olympus E-PM1 – in silver (and one of these babies http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-PM1/Leather/4040/002.jpg) – I know it is not the best, but I also need to drag it along witrh me while backpacking from New York to San Fran, and 1 week in Panama – so I needed something light/simple/cheap’ish.

I have tried my luck dSLRs before, but found myself rarely having the cam with me when I stumbled over those really great shots – well… NO MORE CRUEL WORLD!

The kit lens is a M.ZUIKO Digital 14 -42mm II R, and while I bet this is a very capable lens, I would like a small lens (50mm prime?) too – for those days where I need to go all minimalistic. But I am not sure what to go for here…? I know that I will need something that works well indoor, and under low/poor lighting conditions – but beside that – no idea what to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
17mm pancake.

My ex girlfriend went to Tokyo for 2 weeks and the only thing she brought was the E-P1 and 17mm. Got some awesome photos, and she said that there was only one time when she wish she could have had something a little longer.

Since the crop factor is 2x,you multiply that by the focal length to get the full frame equivalent. If you want a 50mm prime,get the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4. But that would cost more than your body,so I would get the 14mm f/2.5,its around $300 on Amazon,but there are some like-new offers around $220. I personally have it and it's absolutely fantastic for street.

The panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is very good although the AF is a bit noisy. The 14mm f/2.5 is another i like and absolutely tiny. The Olympus 12mm f/2 is very good... probably better than the 14mm but a premium price and its not a pancake.... still compact. I just picked up the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 a couple weeks ago and I am impressed. I carry the 14, 20, and 45 around in a small pouch. All three go for around $300-400 each. I personally didnt really like the Olympus 17mm too much.

*I will try again, seems like my reply did not go up*

First off thanks for all your comments, much appreciated!

The Pana 20mm f/1.7, would be this one right?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-L...IQGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329220939&sr=8-1

The Pana 14mm f/2.5, would be this one right?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-H...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329221604&sr=1-1

I can't decide what will make me the most happy, the focal length or the f-stop.... for mostly indoor photography i guess the 20mm would be the way to go?

@usayit: The pouch you mention, you have a make/model you'd like to share? Thinking about something like that for the days where I wont bring my regular Golla backpack.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First off thanks for all your comments, much appreciated!

The Pana 20mm f/1.7, would be this one right?:

The Pana 14mm f/2.5, would be this one right?:

Yup.. those are the ones.

I can't decide what will make me the most happy, the focal length or the f-stop.... for mostly indoor photography i guess the 20mm would be the way to go?

Focal length is such a personal preference. It would be difficult to recommend. If I head out with just one focal length, I will go out with a 50mm (a different Full frame system). In the case of a micro 4 3 camera, I go out with the 20mm due to crop factor. It flows well for me. Often for street, I like 24mm, 50mm, and 90mm (again on full frame). 24mm (14mm for micro 4 3) is a "story telling focal length".

Keep in mind, that you can hand hold slow shutter speeds more easily with short focal lengths than long. Probably just adding more to the confusion but I'd be leaning more towards the 20mm f/1.7 as it closer approximates what you see.

@usayit: The pouch you mention, you have a make/model you'd like to share? Thinking about something like that for the days where I wont bring my regular Golla backpack.

I travel daily with fairly expensive cameras so I generally avoid camera bags in general as I feel they make me a target. I will usually just find whatever bag suites my needs and use inserts to protect and add dividers to segregate the lenses. I do not use caps so its important that the lenses are protected from each other. The inserts I use are from Domke... they make various sizes. There are many other options on Ebay as well.

Once again thank you usayit for taking your time helping me out here. I think the hunt will be for a 14 mm lens, seems like it can be used for pretty much everything.

On another note - I have decided that this should be a camera made for fun, and inspired by these photos I've seen on Flickr: c-mount-mania - a set on Flickr (I understand those not clicking on links - but not sure how else to share these with you). I have just ordered a 25 mm CCTV lens, so cheap I almost couldn't say no.

I am going on vacation in 2 weeks, I hope all has arrived at that time - if I am in luck, I will make sure to upload a few snaps for CC - better start out my m43 adventure with some pointers from you guys.

Thanks.

Absolutely the camera is made for fun.... A bunch of Micro 4 3 users bought into a mirrorless system in part for the adaptation of many lenses. I too adapt K (pentax), M42 (screwmount, and M (Leica). You'll need to find an adapter for them... but there are numerous cheap ones available (as well as high quality more expensive ones). I have purchased a few from "rainbowimaging" on the US Ebay market.

I have an E-PL1 with a lower resolution back LCD. So I depend on a VF2 EVF attachment for comfortable and accurate focusing with manual lense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back