My first model shoot.

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had been looking for models for about a week. This one needed a portfolio in a hurry. Shooting in a studio for the first time is quite difficult. These are the shots outside.

Attachments

• DSC_5674.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_5554.jpg
    DSC_5554.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_5599.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
  • DSC_5603.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_5614.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_5648.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_5666.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Nice, 5 is my favorite.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Like all things, it just requires a little more practice. Not bad for a first go.

I can see how these types of shoots can take a whole day and a whole day in post. Can't wait to have another shoot.

Last edited:
The ones against the rock are beautifully done. The one where she's leaning on the rock made her look a little hunched (maybe due to her height?).

I'm not sure about where she's standing in relation to the sidewalk, the line kind of cuts thru her leaving a little green space between the legs (and what's with the guy in the background with the camera? it's the timing, maybe move around a little and try a different spot then go back there when he's moved on). I think the one indoors and the last one look rather awkward the way she's posed (and I don't know what's under/behind her but I think red can be eye catching), and check the hair or have her check it after she'd been moving around.

The outdoor shots make for a great background and you got some nice color and composition in those, I like the way the flowers soften the rock and are a contrast in textures.

For your first time these are really good. The shots are crisp and it looks like you did a lot of poses. She seems confortable in the setting. She has a good amount of body language, though for me her expressions leave me wanting a bit more. I will say these are far better than my first shoot. Congrats and keep it up.

As per shooting and editing I will say a days shoot typically takes me an average of three days to edit. Partly because this is how I purposely set things up. I wait at least a day to edit so I can approach them with a fresh mind. Then spend about two days editing and then re-editing again for anything I missed or didnt like, or simply wamt to experiment with.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I don't know about "crisp." I looked at the full-size photos and it seems like in most of them, the eyes are not quite focused. But the part that really bothers me is the pixelation in the shadow areas and what looks like a lot of sensor noise. Could it be the compression during the forum upload process?

You may be right Jim. I am looking at them o my tablet, which may be high res and all, but it's not my Mac nor a full size screen. That being said the crisp factor may not be so on a regular monitor or in a print.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I don't know about "crisp." I looked at the full-size photos and it seems like in most of them, the eyes are not quite focused. But the part that really bothers me is the pixelation in the shadow areas and what looks like a lot of sensor noise. Could it be the compression during the forum upload process?

These are all scaled down to 250Kb - 1MB so that I could upload them.

These are all scaled down to 250Kb - 1MB so that I could upload them.
Are you sure? There's only one that's in that neighborhood at 254.1Kb. The rest start at a low of 321.6Kb and go to a high of 1.1Mb. Sorry, that's what you said. I mis-read that. But even if you size the images smaller for uploading, there should not be any pixelation or sensor noise. What editing software are you using?

Well, that's not a complete answer to my question, but could be the reason for the pixelation. Once I save a JPG photo in PS, I save it in either Maximum or High and nothing lower. That doesn't account for the sensor noise. Or the lack of sharpness/focus in the eyes of your photos.

Well, that's not a complete answer to my question, but could be the reason for the pixelation. Once I save a JPG photo in PS, I save it in either Maximum or High and nothing lower. That doesn't account for the sensor noise. Or the lack of sharpness/focus in the eyes of your photos.

I was shooting at F 2.8 for some of them. I think I should have shot at f11 or so, it would have made everything sharp. Learning moment.

Most reactions

Back