My First Nikon Bundle Purchase

Shutterfox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there! My name is Dana and I am new to the art of DSLR photography, and a newbie to this forum. I came here searching for tips, advice, and to gain experience from the more seasoned photographers.

After much consideration, I've decided to purchase a Nikon D5100. I loved the D7000, but my budget is limited and I'd rather use the money on some good lenses. I've scoured Craigslist for months and found a couple good deals, but nothing that was just what I needed. I am trying to buy a package deal so I have most everything I need to start shooting right away. I began to look on eBay and found several sales that seem almost too good to be true. So, here I am, humbling myself before you and asking for your expert opinions on the bundles I'm interested in :blushing:

To give you an idea of what I plan to photograph, I am actively involved in equestrian(horse) shows and other sporting events. So, I need something that will allow long-range shots and to freeze animals and people moving at high speeds. I also have a daughter, so children pictures would take up a lot of my memory space! :lol: So most of my shots would be action photos. I'm also planning to do some portraits, landscapes, and try to dabble in a bit of wildlife. Maybe even try my hand with some macro. Essentially, I want to do a little bit of everything, but action shots would be my main focus.

Okay down to business. I found three eBay auctions I think would suit my needs, but again, I am so new to all of this. So I need help! Each item listed includes a detailed description, but if I included these descriptions, this post would be a mile long and I believe redundant considering I'm sure you all know what these items are. As it is, I'm extremely inexperienced and I don't even know what a lot of these things are :blushing::confused: Please also note, both these auctions claim the camera is an import. They explain it is the exact same as a USA model, only the warranty is international and not limited to the US. All three bundles are around $1100 USD.

The first includes:
  • Nikon D5100 Camera Body (new in box with accessories)
  • Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Vibration Reduction Nikkor Lens
  • Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX IF-ED VR Vibration Reduction Zoom-Nikkor Lens
  • 500mm f/8.0 Preset Telephoto Lens for SLR
  • Long Range Professional Lens up to 1300mm. General Brand. With T-mount.
  • TTL Flash for Nikon
  • 52mm 2X Telephoto Lens
  • 52mm Wide Angle Lens
  • Two 16 GB Digital (SD) Memory Cards
  • Large Backpack for SLR Equipment built to hold SLR Camera plus 3-7 lenses and accessories
  • Holster case for SLR camera and zoom lens
  • DSLR/Camcorder Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head 3-Section Leg and Quick leverlock
  • 52mm 3 Filters Kit: UV - Polarizer - FLD
  • 52mm UV Digital Filter
  • Wireless Remote Control for Nikon
  • T-Mount for Nikon DSLR
  • USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital Card Reader
  • Mini Travel Tripod, Lens Cleaning Kit, and LCD Screen Protectors
  • Memory Card Wallet
  • Lens Cap Holder
  • 1 Year Warranty

The second bundle that appealed to me is similar. It includes:
  • Nikon D5100 (new in box with accessories)
  • Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens
  • Nikon 70-300mm f/5-5.6 G Nikkor Telephoto Lens
  • Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF Lens (I realize this lens works on manual focus only w/D5100)
  • 2X Telephoto Lens
  • Wide Angle Lens
  • 500mm Super Telephoto Preset Lens
  • +1, +2, +4, +10 Close Up Macro Kit
  • 3 Piece Filter Kit - UV, PL, and FLD
  • Two 16 GIG High Speed Memory Class 10
  • Digital Pro Slave Flash
  • Full Size Professional Tripod
  • Camera Backpack
  • Water Resistant Camera Holster Case
  • Vivitar 4 Piece Essential Kit (mini tripod, LCD screen cleaning cloth, cleaning liquid, and screen protectors)
  • Memory Card Reader
  • Cap Keeper
  • MACK 3 Year Worldwide Warranty

The third package is, again, similar. It includes:
  • Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens
  • Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
  • 650-1300mm High Definition Telephoto Lens F/8-16 integrated lens hood
  • 2X Telephoto Lens
  • Wide Angle Lens
  • 16 GIG High Speed Memory Class 10
  • Multi-Power Battery Grip holds 2 Li-Ion batteries
  • Camera Backpack
  • 2 Rechargeable Batteries - 1 Nikon Original Battery + 1 Extra Rechargeable High Capacity Battery
  • Vivitar 4 Piece Essential Kit (includes mini tripod, LCD screen cleaning cloth, cleaning liquid, and screen protectors)
  • Warranty sold separately

Okay well that is that! Please feel free to ask any questions if I need to clarify anything. Again, I am so new to all of this, so any advice, help, opinions, and shared experiences would be tremendously appreciated!! Thank you so very much in advance! :hail::hail:

IDK about Ebay bundles but the bundles on Amazon are normally filled with crap. I got suckered in to one a few years ago with a Sony A350 and almost everything I got with it was junk.

yeah you don't want any of those

for the horse races you'd be much better off with a d5100 and a 70-300

Go to B&h or Adorama and get a refurbished D7000... Way better for action shots. And you can pick up a 55-200mm lens with it.

I skimmed through and noticed one came with a 1300mm lens. That would actually be ideal for equestrian events on the moon, if you're shooting from earth, of course.

The second bundle that appealed to me is similar. It includes:
  • Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens
  • Nikon 70-300mm f/5-5.6 G Nikkor Telephoto Lens
  • Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF Lens (I realize this lens works on manual focus only w/D5100)
  • 2X Telephoto Lens
  • Wide Angle Lens
  • Two 16 GIG High Speed Memory Class 10
  • Camera Backpack
  • Water Resistant Camera Holster Case
  • Vivitar 4 Piece Essential Kit (mini tripod, LCD screen cleaning cloth, cleaning liquid, and screen protectors)
  • Memory Card Reader
  • Cap Keeper
  • MACK 3 Year Worldwide Warranty

I don't recommend any of these kits. I would buy things separate and just get what you need. However, of the 3 sets that you've posted the second is by far the best because it contains these 2 lenses:

Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF Lens (but if you get the D5100 you'd be better off with the 50mm f/1.8G for autofocus. It does cost nearly double the D lens, which could be money put towards getting a D7000. The 1.8D works great on the D7000)
Nikon 70-300mm f/5-5.6 G Nikkor Telephoto Lens (this is the best telephoto out of all of the packages and is probably the one you would want anyways if you don't want to spend a ton of money

The 18-55 kit lens is okay, but it's certainly not any better than okay but at least it is cheap. You will definitely get better images with the 50mm prime.

Just about everything else it comes with you might as well throw in the garbage. You will tire of their shortcomings quickly and will have to spend even more money to replace them with something decent. I would just get better quality stuff and get less of it, when you can afford more you can add to your collection. If money is an issue consider buying second hand/refurbished.

• 2X Telephoto Lens
  • Wide Angle Lens
these things are lens attachments rather than lenses on their own. They cost $10-15 and I've never used one but heard they are not even worth that small amount of money.

this must be the same?

maybe this is a mirror lens? they don't even tell you who makes it. not sure what this even is but I am sure it's not very good.

these filters will be low quality and will hurt your image quality.

this might be good enough with a small lens on your camera but I can't imagine it will work very well with a heavy, front-heavy lens like the 70-300

• Camera Backpack

if you want a cheap backpack, which this surely is, you can buy one separately

• Memory Card Reader
does your computer have a slot for SD cards? I know mine does. If you have one of those then this is useless

• Cap Keeper

these things are annoying because different lenses will require different sized caps and if you plan on changing lenses this will just get in the way. If you do actually lose a lens cap, just buy a new one, they are not expensive.

Don't get one of these kits. They sound too good to be true because they are. Just get a body and a good lens or two and in the long run you will be a lot happier.

I need something that will allow long-range shots and to freeze animals and people moving at high speeds.

there is no cheap answer to this need I am afraid. You will want a fast lens (translation: wide aperture aka low f-stop number). The Nikon 70-300mm f/5-5.6 G Nikkor Telephoto Lens might not suit your needs. It's widest aperture at 300mm is f/5.6. Some of those weird long telephotos mentioned in those kits are f/16 at the widest when you are fully zoomed in! It's hard to imagine that being useful for much of anything.

I would look at some 3rd party lenses like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and see what else is out there. In general they are good but not quite as good as Nikon but certainly cheaper.

+1 agreeing that those bundles are junk!

Just get....
Nikon Refurbished D5100 w/18-55mm Lens = $499
Nikon Refurbished 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G = $359 (New is $550!!!)
Total Price $860

or..
Nikon Refurbished D7000 = $750
Nikon Refurbished 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G = $359 (New is $550!!!)
Nikon Refurbished 18-55mm VR = $109
Total: $1218

(All items can be purchased from reputable dealers like B&H and Adorama).

The 70-300VR is a semi-pro lens... Super fast auto focus and built like a tank. It's also made for FX (and DX) cameras so it will grow with you. The Nikon 55-200mm and 55-300mm are not great for action (slow auto focus). The refurbished 70-300mm VR is a hands-down-no-brainer-bargain right now at $350. You need to jump up to Nikons 70-200 f/2.8 VRII ($2.4k) for a better (Nikon) zoom lens. (Note: Nikon makes a 70-300mm priced at ~$140 that is horrible.. make sure its the VR version)

The D5100 camera is a good place to start and will leave you extra cash for memory cards, bags.. etc.. The D7000 would be even better but is at the end of your budget.

Don't waste your money on all that other crap.

The problem as I see it with those huge bundles is the you end up paying a lot for things you may not ever use, such as filters and bags that don't hold all of your gear.

I recommend that you price out the body and lens kit only, that way you can determine the best deal among several dealers.

The problem as I see it with those huge bundles is the you end up paying a lot for things you may not ever use, such as filters and bags that don't hold all of your gear.

Plus the 'bundled' lenses aren't good for action... and everything down from the 3rd bullet (on each bundle) is Chinese junk.

I normally buy my lenses separate, get what you use the most first and add as you go along.

Thank you for all the replies! I am so glad I did some more research before buying into that eBay bundle.

TheLost & DCerezo, thank you for your suggestions to get refurbished equipment from a reputable dealer. I will probably go down that route now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back