My first pathetic attempt at an artsy portait

john3eblover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
So i was just bored and figured i'd take some shots with dramatic lighting and falloff and whatnot, i have an assignment due for photography class somewhat like that, so i shot some with film and a few with digital. anyways, i basically ghetto rigged the lighting and stuff, and i'm not going to tell how i did all that, but just tell me what you think of this picture

katherine_film_grain.jpg

Why did you add all this post processing effects to it when the lighting you chose is quite effective in itself? Could you show us the original for comparison? Maybe then I understand (?)

Personally I'm not too fond of the shadow that one of her locks is casting onto her forehead. Other than that, I quite like the high key (is this the right word - still catching up on all the terms here) aspect of this portrait and the contrasts.

Interesting. Highly "stylized," but cetainly not pathetic. Split lighting is tough, especially with this kind of ratio. I think you used it effectively. I can't decide if I like this much grain... I'm leaning towards "yes."

I think thats a great shot. I like the way the grain and shadow add an edge of mystery to the image, my only comment is that the shadow around the nose looks a bit odd.. maybe it's because the detail of the nose shape has been lost due to the high key effect on the visible parts of the face.

yeah, the nose was a tricky one, not quite sure what to do since the original picture made it look like something was on the end of her nose. I'll post the original picture when i get back from class in a little bit

i like everything about it! awesome results! :thumbup:

mmm... for me the shadow is too strong, and the shapes it makes on the nose doesn't seem to work... for me!!

You call it a pathetic attempt, I call it really good! :thumbsup:

here is the original picture of the one i posted

original_portait_shot.jpg

here are 2 other tries of the same picture, totally unedited

original_portrait_shot_2.jpg

original_portrait_shot_3.jpg

I think the second set of photos work better... the second and final one are my fav... deffo. It's not a bad effort for your first attempt tho! It always helps when your subject matter is good looking :D

its not pathetic at all....i like it - but i like originals even more - i think i would add contrast to them a bit though_:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back