My first photo on the forum c+c

shefjr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first attempt at posting a photo on a forum. I'm hoping that it goes up without a hitch. New to this forum thing. Not sure if I need to put up the EXIF stuff or if it is hidden in the photo.

Nikon D90
F/8
Exposure time 2.9 sec.
ISO 200
18mm focal length

Waterfall shot by Shefjr, on Flickr

Last edited:
EXIF data is normally embedded within the image, however some applications and hosting services strip or hide that information. If in doubt, just post it as text under the image.

C&C per req: This is a nice image, but there are a few areas for improvement. First and foremost is your exposure, when doing these long exposure shots, blown highlights are a common problem, and you've blown detail in the water and some on the rocks. I think too that your composition could have been improved had you positioned yourself (if possible) such that the water was draining in to the frame rather than off to the side. Consider a polarizing filter to enhance saturation and contrast and improve the sky detail.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

It seems like you have missed the focus here or the camera wasn't 100% steady during the 2.9 sec exposure. The trees are distracting in the background. I would like it if the shot was taken about 4-5 steps to the left and a little more head on at the falls. This is still a nice shot.

Oh and the EXIF is on flicker but it is nice if it is posted so people don't have to follow links. Not the biggest deal.

Not sure if I need to put up the EXIF stuff or if it is hidden in the photo.
Unfortunately, Flickr doesn't forward the EXIF data. People would have to click on your photo, or the unecessary Flickr link under it, and then make at least 2 more clicks on Flickr to see the EXIf info for that photo.

Tirediron,
I agree that I did blow out the highlights. I have some photos that you can see the detail specifically of the water but, the image becomes much darker. I actually took several bracketed photos because I was thinking of trying to produce an HDR. I am however, too new in photography to start experimenting with HDR. I wanted to not PP any of my photos yet, I just wanted to put up an unedited version first to get some C+C. I didn't think that I could use a polarizing lens with a neutral density filter. I will try that next time. As for my position I would have loved to have taken the shot directly from the front however, that isn't possible because the creek turns and there is a straight wall in front of the falls.
Thank you for your 2 cents. :)

Scuba,
I'm thinking that the camera probably wasn't steady because of how breezy it was when the photo was taken. I noticed that even taking the neck strap of the camera and using a remote shutter release didn't seem to be enough to prevent the camera from shaking. I also didn't set up my camera to hold the shutter up. Which I read can help with camera shake after I took this photo. I would love to have taken the shot in a more direct way however, even one step to the left and I would have been in the drink so to speak. It's still too cold to do that so I may have to wait until the summer for that shot.
Thank you for the C+C :)

I think the exposure was to long. The water looks to smooth and blown out. I think it would look better with more detail.

I think the exposure was to long. The water looks to smooth and blown out. I think it would look better with more detail.

I was actually going for the smooth silky look for this photo. I did however take a few stop action shots.

Water falls stop action by Shefjr, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D90
Exposure 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 18 mm
Focal Length 18.3 mm
ISO Speed 200

Most reactions

New Topics

Back