My first picture here... Would love any tips and advice

julia4480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

this is a shot of a one day old baby i took in the hospital room at nighttime. It was dark and the room had horrible light. But I did what i could and since I am just now starting photography as a hobby, had no real true idea what i was doing. What could I have done better? What could I do in editing to make this better? What free program could I use?

Thanks so much!!

EditedMonkey.jpg

Beautiful picture. I don't like that you chopped the top of the hat off though. As for free editing software, try GIMP.

Are you using an SLR? It looks like your focus is only on the hat, leaving the face blurred.. Otherwise, I like the composition, except some may complain that it's perfectly center, but i don't have a problem with that being that it's a baby photo..
Mmm not bad for your first, just try to work on your focus if you're shooting an SLR.

Thank you! Yes I see it now that the hat is clearer than the face! I kept asking myself WHY that is LOL.

Thanks so much guys!!

and yes, I have a Nikon D3000. My first DSLR!

Gorgeous baby! Photo looks grainy to me though? I agree with whoever mentioned about the hat thats chopped, and agree that GIMP is a good free software - I don't have it but know plenty of people who use it and love it :)

Are you using an SLR? It looks like your focus is only on the hat, leaving the face blurred.. Otherwise, I like the composition, except some may complain that it's perfectly center, but i don't have a problem with that being that it's a baby photo..
Mmm not bad for your first, just try to work on your focus if you're shooting an SLR.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3000
Image Date: 2010:02:10 06:26:01
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

BTW that is some high ISO and 1/20th is pretty slow for a shutter speed. Cute baby though.

As someone who recently had a baby born in the family, I can understand the lighting you are talking about in the hospital. I didn't have a dslr back in May so my shots came out nearly the same. I can suggest a flash for your D3000. That way you can bounce the light off the ceiling at maybe a -3 or -2 compensation and it should add enough light to gently illuminate the baby but not blind them. We are going to have another this August and I'm not going in unprepared. I'm gunna pick up a Fong diffuser to work with my speedlite. Adding flash will allow you to drop the ISO and raise the shutter speed which is always a good thing. Good luck, they grow up fast so keep shooting!

i could have sworn i commented on this. Anyway. I think its a good shot. the only thing is the eyes look erie. maybe its the lighting but otherwise its a cool shot and will look good framed for you.

Gorgeous baby! Photo looks grainy to me though? I agree with whoever mentioned about the hat thats chopped, and agree that GIMP is a good free software - I don't have it but know plenty of people who use it and love it :)

Yes, I agree with the grainy look. That's what I didn't like. Could that be because of the high ISO? I think I just played around with the camera not knowing what Im doing... Will remember about the hat. I was so excited he had his eyes open and was alert I didn't pay attention haha!

I think in my D 3000 I looked at the equivalent "picture" they have next to the ISO 1600 setting and it was a close up like I was doing. I think that's why I chose it. So less ISO less grainy??

Most reactions

Back