My first portrait pictures.....

blatalllic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out saturday and had a nice photoshoot...Weather was really nice but it was to bright outside...But we went ahead and did this shoot....Took about 140 pics, maxed out my memory card....I was shooting in RAW......I have one problem :mrgreen: , picking a few out of so many because I really liked most of them....C&C are welcomed...my goal is to get better and better....Thanks in advance

P5121260copy.jpg

P5121206copyBW.jpg

P5121211copy.jpg

P5121176copy-1.jpg

P5121192copy.jpg

P5121250copyCF.jpg

P5121121copy.jpg

Nice shots of a pretty model, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be #2.

One thing that I think could be improved is the composition. In every shot, her face is dead center...try changing that up.

IN almost all of these, the background is more interesting than the subject.

I didnt even notice that, thanks Mike for bringing that up...Guess On the ones I posted it came out that way...

Ya she wanted downtown in her background so I gave her what she wanted lol

let me say I think these are awesome! But I am a freak for contrast so the first two I keep wanting to see more of it, that's just me though probably - I use it too much!
And I agree with Big Mike about the composition. Makes the photo more interesting when the subject isn't in the middle like that. But these are very nice and I am sure she is VERY pleased! Good job!

Love the selective color on 6!

Thanks guys....shes pleased, going out again this weekend I hope to shot some more...hopefully later int he afternoon when its not too bright

Bump for additional suggestions

#1 is okay, but needs a vertical crop, has poor midtone contrast, and is a little bit blown out.

#2 could be great if it weren't so flat and blown out.

#3: The pose is definitely no good, and you're too far away. Closer up w/wide angle would be better.

#4 and 5: Shooting against chain-link stopped down is a bad idea.

#6: This looks sort of like an amateur attempt at an ipod commerical. If that's what you were going for, there's way too much background.

#7 is no good. The light on her face is very flat, and the highlight on her legs draws my eyes down to her knee, which isn't where they should be going.

Overall, the thing you can improve most upon is light. You aren't paying any attention to where highlights and shadows are falling. That's the most important part of portrait work and arguably photography in general. Look at the splotchy shadows on her in #'s 4 and 5 and you'll see what I mean. You're also shooting too far away from your subject. Get in close, these aren't landscape shots.

Thanks Max, guess I need to do more reading......

**goes to a corner and cries**

Just kidding, I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.....

The image quality is there, no doubt about that. And you look like you know something about post processing. I just think if you work on the finer points of composition, depth of field, not centering your subject, and some of the other things that were pointed out, you will be there in no time. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words

Thats why I post and read lots here...to learn and to get better...

I really enjoyed shooting and really enjoyed the processing stage as well...Fun Hobby...Lucky for those who do this for a living...

I would agree with the idea that the composition could use somework also the shots are a bit boring.
Although I do not like selective coloring I found that #6 really stood out, I disagree with Max thatthere is too much background I think allin all that shot is actually very good. One of the things that I feel makes it good is how you captured the model in a moment not just staring at your lens. A photo of a model simply smiling with a basic pose tends to be boring, capturing emotion on the other hand creates an interesting image.Next time out try taking more shots of your model looking off camera or at something within the frame aside from the lens. This is just my opinion though.

Most reactions

Back