joephotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joe-elliott.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I usually shoot live music but wanted to do some portraits to expand my work...

So here is a picture I took with very basic lighting one spot and camera's flash. I also retouched with photoshop.

All feedback appreciated, please be gentle lol :)

Thanks
Joe

$audrey1.jpg

IMO, this is over processed and oversaturated.
Either you have missed focus or really over-blurred the skin.
She is close to the background and so there is that harsh shadow - not good.

How about posting the original before PPing?

In addition to Lew's comments... Generally (but not always) portraits are shot in the portrait, or vertical orientation. You normally want the subject looking at least toward the camera, 'though not necessarily right down the lens. On my calibrated monitor, her skin appears as an almost adobe red, and the lighting is indeed very harsh; you've actually produced specular reflection in dark brown hair!

Try a reshoot with the subject much further from the wall/background, and your light(s) much closer, and output reduced. Have the subject look toward you.

Hi Guys and thanks very much for the time to comment.

This is what i was looking for criticism i can learn from. I understand the lighting is very harsh, I have one continuous studio light with only barn doors, in music photography dont have a lot of control over lighting so its all new to me lol.

As for the out of focus comment this is probably due to over smoothing the skin when i think about it, finding it hard to get that retouching task right.

I had posed her leaning on a wall as my friend done a photo of me like that and portraits are her thing so i gave it a bash, would you suggest keeping away from the wall?

The orientation comment makes a lot of sense and i will definitely take this on board.

My light is very bright in its current state and for that reason i have not moved right close as a lot of people have complained about the brightness when it is directly on them (ie screwing faces and eyes), softbox is my next investment lol.

I have posted the original image to see if you would say bum image or if i have just made a mess with photoshop. I think it's both from the comments now...

$DSC_0051_2.jpg

Thanks once again for your time and feedback :)

Joe :)

Pulling her away from the wall will make that harsh shadow less noticeable. If you don't want to use that continuous light, you could pick up a Yongnuo flash for about $50 and a cheap set of wireless triggers for around $30.

I agree with other comments. Replace continuous lighting with strobes. It will make a big difference. Also remember to keep the subject away from the background. Shoot in manual mode in RAW format. Then just keep shooting.

Most reactions

Back