My first posting of some of my shots

LilSparkPlug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very new to all of this and any and all constructive criticism is awesome. I'm still new to the Rule of thirds, and alot of what goes on the photography world. I love it and really want to learn more. Here are some of my favorite shots that I have taken over the course of the past few months. Not all of them are of the same subject matter but I feel the diversity in relation to C&C will help me grow. I also know that some of you may hate my borders, but I'm a photoshop noob too and until today had no idea how to make a simple one. From now on they won't be so elaborate and will not take up the picture.

Oh and a side-note: I've taken mostly automotive shots, of my car but I'm recently getting into scenery and nature.

Jamestown028.jpg

Jamestown044.jpg

Jamestown038.jpg

Jamestown039.jpg

Jamestown128.jpg

Bristol083.jpg

Bristol041.jpg

Bristol050.jpg

BV042.jpg

BV038.jpg

hi there,

nice shots :) i think you need to buy a ND Grad filter to help stop blowing out the skies in you landscape shots, as for the auto shot i've never been much of a fan but looks like your on the right track although your composition in the auto shots leaves something to be desired

well done keep it up

:p

#1 - You must really like the rule of thirds! Cool shot though. Definitely an ND grad or polarizer are in order for all of your landscape shots.
#2 - I really like this shot
#3 - I don't really like the horizon in the dead center of the picture but otherwise pretty cool.
#4 and #5 - These really don't do much for me but are technically pretty solid.
#6 - My advice is always fill the frame...there is a lot I don't really care about seeing in this picture.
#7 - Same as above...automotive is about the car, unless it is sitting in front of a mansion or something. And, if you are really set on using ROT here may I suggest putting your imaginary line right through the hood instead off of the door panel?
#8 -I think this shot could be improved by shooting more from the front of the car and from slightly above, giving us a better view of an impressive looking engine compartment with the rear of the vehicle still in view.
#9 - not a huge fan of composition + the sky is majorly blown
#10 - Far and away your best shot IMHO...you could make it even better I think by rotating the camera slightly to the left, giving us some nice diagonal movement, and by cropping the shot with more space to the right, making us feel as if the car is going to take off across the picture.

Overall, very nice stuff (and a nice ride as well). One final suggestion is to use your 200mm lens from up close to get some more DOF. Remember the rule of thirds is by no means hard and fast. I took a lot of very similar shots when I was starting out but I've learned that "fill the frame" is a much better maxim than "rule of thirds" in general.

I do have quite a few where I filled the frame with the entire car but got mixed reviews on those also. Some said I should have more background, so I added a bit more. Use the 200mm for a close shot? Really? I'll have to try that. Thank you for the compliment on the car as well. I have lots of shots like #10 of my own car.

As for the filters, does brand matter? My sky and usually the glare off the car are my major issues and I'm assuming the CP would fix the car's issues, but ND Gradient for the sky? How does that act?

I don't really think filters matter too much. I've used Hoya and no-names, I cant really tell too much of a difference (besides the price tag). But I'm no pixel peeper.

The 200 will give you more (that is to say, shallower) depth of field considering you are using two lenses with smaller bottom-end apertures (which is not to say that both your lenses aren't very capable pieces of glass). Remember that getting DOF relies on three(+?) factors - aperture size (smaller number = shallower DOF), zoom (more zoom equals shallower DOF), and proximity of subject/how far subject is away from the background (the closer you are to to the subject and the further it is from the background = shallower DOF)

As far as what other people say, look at pro auto photography (Hot Rod magazine, for example), or even car and driver. A vast majority of the shots are quite tight, unless of course the background is super cool.

May I suggest doing some macro work with those cars? Wheels, engine components, grilles, gages etc can all look really cool from a macro persepective. I think you were heading that way with #9...but it takes a lot of shots to figure out the difference between "oh, a hood ornament" and "OH! a hood ornament!"

Next time I go out I'll have to try the larger lens. I'll also pick up both of those filters, hopefully soon, and see how much better they make things.

I have taken a few shots of parts of cars that are up close and personal, but I don't have a macro lens, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression its neccessary for a sharper image. Again I'm new to all of this and I'm not 100% sure if thats the case.

Here is a closeup shot of a badge:

5106.jpg

And a couple more shots like #10, where the car fills up more of the frame. Are these more appealing?

M022.jpg

IS029.jpg

For me at least...I'm really digging #2 especially

Your macro shot looks plenty sharp, just the DOF is too shallow to keep the whole badge in focus.

Okay so I don't need a macro lens then, just a better DOF. I went to Ritz and bought the Quantaray by Cokin P121M Graduated Neutral Grey (ND4) filter with the lens adapter. The guy there said it was better for what I was trying to do with it than a full ND4 filter that wasn't graduated. Next time I try to shoot landscapes (maybe today or tomorrow) I'll have that with me. CP is next on the list.

Number 2 was the first time I shot with the camera out of Auto, and my favorite shot of that shoot. :) I really appreciate all your help thank you!

Yeah full ND's have fairly limited applications IMO...you can use them to get slower shutter speeds in lots of light (for waterfalls and stuff) I use one to shoot snowsports since there is often way too much glare off of the snow.

Thats exactly what he told me. There are a few waterfalls around here that I would like to shoot so I may pick one up. I haven't had a chance to play with the new filter yet, maybe this week.

Im not a huge SRT fan but very nice.Many of them here,None of the quality as yours that are pictured.My good buddy has a Stage 3 for sale at the moment.

I wish I had the cash for the Stage 3 but I'm working on everything slowly (not to say it isn't in the future). That car is my life and hobby outside of newfound photography. You'll see plenty more pictures of it ha ha! I tried to make it as original as possible, using the 1970 AAR Cuda as the car I modeled it after. I did all the work personally, the compliments mean that much more, thank you :)

Most reactions

Back