My first real people photoshoot

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first post ever on the People gallery – that's because I never photograph people (see my signature line). A couple of days ago I had the chance to make a few portraits of an up-and-coming British musician who's travelling Canada and the north of the US promoting a single he's just released. He goes by the name of AFS, and this is his MySpace page.

My thing is abandonments and I shoot with available light only, so it was only natural to do the photoshoot in an abandoned house using window light. I was somewhat nervous at first but then I loosened up and things kind of started happening. Other than his KORG, all the "props" were found there.

I'm very happy with the results, yet I don't know how he's liked the images yet. I'm posting many of them, so I don't expect any C&C however all comments are welcome.

p152730195-4.jpg

p759546982-4.jpg

p799411835-4.jpg

p332150773-4.jpg

p191962616-4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

For some reason i like number 3 most. Great series

I think the shadows are putting me off on the first two, but the remaining are brilliant. I am particularly drawn to the last two shots, but #3 is a close runner.

Well done Smithsonian Boy! :biggrin:

Partial to #3. I really like the window light coming in and his pose. Good job!

Well done Smithsonian Boy! :biggrin:
LOL!

I think the shadows are putting me off on the first two (...)
One interesting thing about the first two images is that this was the only room in the house whose window was boarded up. The room was dark. So these two images were shot at ISO 800 and shutter speeds close to one second. We had to take a few test shots to see what we would be getting (in terms of both lighting and composition), because I couldn't see anything through the viewfinder. So the light source here is light coming through a window in another room, bouncing off of walls and doors. Hard to believe that ricocheting light could create these shadows!

Thanks everybody for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

I think #3 is killer!
Nicely done, very strong!
Thank you. I'm surprised that numbers 3 and 5 are the ones most people like best, because while doing them I was thinking they were kind of trite. Then again, I know nothing about portraiture.

I love the pics, but am not keen on the shadow in the first two, you could have made him stand a bit further from the wall to avoid that, or bounced the light. Totally love number 5!!

#3 and 4 rock. Love the light and ambiance. #5 is cool the way the light mirrors off his glasses- makes him "zombish". #1 and 2 needed a more outrageous angle, like you on the floor. Fun stuff, does it capture his musical style and personality?

Fun stuff, does it capture his musical style and personality?
His musical style is electronica, but kind of eclectic if that makes any sense... so I'd say that these images do capture that. In terms of personality, he seems to have two – his public and his private egos. The images definitely fail to capture his private personality – he's a bubbly person and very fun to be around. I'm not sure what his public image is, so I don't know how well this photos capture that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I really like number 3 and number 5 has an eerie creepy stalker mood to me lol so while I like it, it gives me the willy's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back