My first "real" photo lighting...

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting my first lighting kit. Its an early Christmas Gift. :)

I am picking them up tomorrow. Next step: learning how to use them. :)

Umbrellas.jpg

Take some pix w/ them. I personally hated them when I used at friend's house but I wanna get your feedback.

This is what my experience has been. They're just simply not bright enough, at all to be honest. I've used the ones with 3 bulbs with reflectors and even they weren't bright enough....

They're not 500w/s monolights for sure, but they're a lot better than nothing. New gear is always good - enjoy!

Take some pix w/ them. I personally hated them when I used at friend's house but I wanna get your feedback.

This is what my experience has been. They're just simply not bright enough, at all to be honest. I've used the ones with 3 bulbs with reflectors and even they weren't bright enough....

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I will deffinatly be doing some experimenting. Unfortunately I don't have the option to "try before I buy".

I may have to add an off camera flash or two... or maybe a softbox to the mix.. But I am very limited in cash. So this will be a start.

I'll post an example of the result... when I get the hang of it. :)

From my understanding..... CF bulbs will give you omni-directional lighting. Meaning, it goes were it wants, not as you intended. Look at the image you posted. Think about it.

I got the same set and found that I didn't get enough light thru them for a main light. I got a 2 headed socket so I could use both bulbs in one umbrella and now use this for a fill light. Adjustable strobe and and the other shoot thru umbrella for the main light. The stands I got with the set are great.

You might also try replacing the CFLs with these if the buget permits; they're quite inexpensive.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back