My first real photo shoot...non paid of course :)

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My kids absolutely will not let me practice on them ANYMORE!!! A friend of mine asked if I would take pictures of her girls so I jumped at the opportunity. I'd like to know what you think. I really would like to get to the point someday where I'm able to make a little money off of this...just enough to buy a new camera :D thanks for any feedback.
3733685789_36da779fac_b.jpg

3734486036_2b037d0f8d_b.jpg

3734485626_a4d8c313d4_b.jpg

3734486450_7f43b1ec67_b.jpg

3733687873_6ff0c91a6e_b.jpg

I agree, they look pretty good. Nicely done.

You'll definitely be helped by a reflector. For #2, I would have set-up a reflector to fill from the right. White would do fine for that. Same goes for #3, some fill from the right with a white reflector would not go amiss.

In #3 the flash needs to be higher and farther away from the camera; the catchlights are in the wrong place on the eyes. Where they are, it looks as if she's being lit from below and in front. Similarly, in #4 the flash could be moved-up a smidge, and in #5, there are two catchlights in the left eye; clone or brush out the one in the centre/pupil for improvement.

Given the above, you might want to consider using a lightstand for your flash.

That said, the quality of light you're getting is quite soft, which is great. However, you may wish to consider using short lighting on rounder faces such as these.

nice shots but all i can focus on is the childs hair.

You'll definitely be helped by a reflector. For #2, I would have set-up a reflector to fill from the right. White would do fine for that. Same goes for #3, some fill from the right with a white reflector would not go amiss.

In #3 the flash needs to be higher and farther away from the camera; the catchlights are in the wrong place on the eyes. Where they are, it looks as if she's being lit from below and in front. Similarly, in #4 the flash could be moved-up a smidge, and in #5, there are two catchlights in the left eye; clone or brush out the one in the centre/pupil for improvement.

That said, the quality of light you're getting is quite soft, which is great. However, you may wish to consider using short lighting on rounder faces such as these.

You are way over critical man. Seriously if you're gonna c&c do it with the intent on helping Some one, not just for an excuse to look for inconspicuous things to make people second guess their shots. You do it way to often. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything I'm just saying. Try and be a little less critical on people.

I really like the last two pictures. Nice enviorment!

It just finishes the picture.

Well done!

You might have to edit them a bid. Maybe a bit more shadows for the first few pictures?

Greetings!

I love all the shots, they really bring out the innocence of a child :)
Especially #3 and #5

Consider using a reflector or a fill in flash, focus should be on the eyes. Composition is good! like the pics!.

Wow! I went to bed and woke up with 9 comments. Thanks so much! I'm so sorry that I didn't explain better the equipment that I used for this. I didn't use any flash actually. Only a reflector. I was thinking that if I had another reflector on the opposite side to fill in the shadows most pictures would have been improved, but alas, no second reflector. I do have a 580 EX II, but no way to trigger it off camera yet (I've ordered the cactus v4's and an umbrella, stand, etc) so soon, hopefully I'll have better use of light. Although, I don't know how it would have worked out with most pictures from this session because I was mostly just following the girls around as they played in the yard and the mom was just finding light where ever she could to help. The older girl would have cooperated with staying where I set up the light, but I'm pretty sure the little one wouldn't. How do other photographers deal with this when shooting toddlers, etc.??

Scotty: I appreciate you sticking up for me:hug::, but really I don't mind the harsh criticisms. I've always felt like I can only learn if people tell me exactly what they think, good or bad, in as much detail as possible. It is only a bummer when someone says your pictures suck and don't tell you how to actually change that ;).

Thanks again for all the comments.

You are way over critical man. Seriously if you're gonna c&c do it with the intent on helping Some one, not just for an excuse to look for inconspicuous things to make people second guess their shots. You do it way to often. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything I'm just saying. Try and be a little less critical on people.
:confused:

I think they're all brilliant, although I would admit that, literally, just a touch of flash would really help the child stand out, and would probably make a catchlight in her eyes. Other than that, though, the composition is great, and you've got some nice places to take photos, too :D.

I think they're all brilliant, although I would admit that, literally, just a touch of flash would really help the child stand out, and would probably make a catchlight in her eyes. Other than that, though, the composition is great, and you've got some nice places to take photos, too :D.

Thanks. I am so nervous about using my flash on camera. Unless it's indoor and I can bounce it off a ceiling or wall, I feel like maybe the natural lighting would have been better whenever I use it. I was worried about blowing it on these shots since they were someone else's kids and I didn't want to experiment too much. I just decided to go with what I'm comfortable with. I'm sure they would let me take pictures again and maybe next time I can experiment more with my flash (and when I get my light stand, etc...I can get it off my camera). Anyway, thanks for the comment. And, yes the location was so amazing. It was their grandma's yard and it had everything from a "tea house" to a koi pond with waterfall, plus really cool doors and window frames. It is a photographer's heaven. Too bad it's private property.

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with using natural light. On 95% of my shoots natural light is what we use(basically except for receptions indoors). Natural light exactly is what it is...it gives off that natural look. I think nothing beats it. You just have to get a little bit more creative but I say all your pictures turned out great. Can't believe this is your first shoot :thumbup:

My critique is for 2 & 3. Looks like the lighting is a little uneven as if your reflectors(or the sun) are only concentrated on her right side and on some of the background. Other then that the lighting is good for the rest I think.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back