My first real photo shoot...non paid of course :)

You'll definitely be helped by a reflector. For #2, I would have set-up a reflector to fill from the right. White would do fine for that. Same goes for #3, some fill from the right with a white reflector would not go amiss.

In #3 the flash needs to be higher and farther away from the camera; the catchlights are in the wrong place on the eyes. Where they are, it looks as if she's being lit from below and in front. Similarly, in #4 the flash could be moved-up a smidge, and in #5, there are two catchlights in the left eye; clone or brush out the one in the centre/pupil for improvement.

Given the above, you might want to consider using a lightstand for your flash.

That said, the quality of light you're getting is quite soft, which is great. However, you may wish to consider using short lighting on rounder faces such as these.

You are way over critical man. Seriously if you're gonna c&c do it with the intent on helping Some one, not just for an excuse to look for inconspicuous things to make people second guess their shots. You do it way to often. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything I'm just saying. Try and be a little less critical on people.

Wow. That's actually what I would call a useful C&C. If you think that is over critical, you'd be horrified by what I tell my students :lol: Some of them have a hard time at first but when they see the progress they make, they get it. Nobody learns from being told "Nice photos" when there are problems and the OP asked for opinions.

Okay, so the second one... try and keep her little feet in the photo... :)

Other than that, they look amazing. I'm impressed. They're rich in color, but yet smooth. Very nice.

You'll definitely be helped by a reflector. For #2, I would have set-up a reflector to fill from the right. White would do fine for that. Same goes for #3, some fill from the right with a white reflector would not go amiss.

In #3 the flash needs to be higher and farther away from the camera; the catchlights are in the wrong place on the eyes. Where they are, it looks as if she's being lit from below and in front. Similarly, in #4 the flash could be moved-up a smidge, and in #5, there are two catchlights in the left eye; clone or brush out the one in the centre/pupil for improvement.

Given the above, you might want to consider using a lightstand for your flash.

That said, the quality of light you're getting is quite soft, which is great. However, you may wish to consider using short lighting on rounder faces such as these.

You are way over critical man. Seriously if you're gonna c&c do it with the intent on helping Some one, not just for an excuse to look for inconspicuous things to make people second guess their shots. You do it way to often. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything I'm just saying. Try and be a little less critical on people.

Wow. That's actually what I would call a useful C&C. If you think that is over critical, you'd be horrified by what I tell my students :lol: Some of them have a hard time at first but when they see the progress they make, they get it. Nobody learns from being told "Nice photos" when there are problems and the OP asked for opinions.

This is where the argument always starts. There's people on here who want to seriously improve and are willing to take the beating in order to. And then there's people who just want to learn in a fun, easy-going manner who find these comments unhelpful at best. Plus, some people are just more thick-skinned than others. This is not a classroom, this is a fun, easy-going internet forum. So, you have to try and determine who you are dealing with, and then go from there.

In this case, I let the OP decide which they find rude (if any), and which they find helpful. I will say you can learn JUST AS MUCH from pointing out the positives of a photo, as you can pointing out the negatives. So even a brutal criticism should include both.

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with using natural light. On 95% of my shoots natural light is what we use(basically except for receptions indoors). Natural light exactly is what it is...it gives off that natural look. I think nothing beats it. You just have to get a little bit more creative but I say all your pictures turned out great. Can't believe this is your first shoot :thumbup:

My critique is for 2 & 3. Looks like the lighting is a little uneven as if your reflectors(or the sun) are only concentrated on her right side and on some of the background. Other then that the lighting is good for the rest I think.

Thanks so much for the compliment and also your input on the lighting in pics 2 & 3. I agree that the lighting looks unbalanced and could have benefited from some source coming in from my right.

Okay, so the second one... try and keep her little feet in the photo... :)

Other than that, they look amazing. I'm impressed. They're rich in color, but yet smooth. Very nice.

Ah, I noticed the clipped toes too!! Such a bummer!

This is where the argument always starts. There's people on here who want to seriously improve and are willing to take the beating in order to. And then there's people who just want to learn in a fun, easy-going manner who find these comments unhelpful at best. Plus, some people are just more thick-skinned than others. This is not a classroom, this is a fun, easy-going internet forum. So, you have to try and determine who you are dealing with, and then go from there.

In this case, I let the OP decide which they find rude (if any), and which they find helpful. I will say you can learn JUST AS MUCH from pointing out the positives of a photo, as you can pointing out the negatives. So even a brutal criticism should include both.

:thumbup:

Hey, I did say that the quality of light was good. Nice and soft.

Kudos to using only a reflector. You trixed me into thinking it was flash. D'oh! I still think a little more fill, or shorter lighting would be worth a shot though.

My opinion (so take it as such): Using a flash or light modifiers are great options and tools at your disposal. They aren't the end-all and be-all. Adding light can improve a photo, but it can also detract from and image if it simply isn't necessary. Sometimes a window, or even a big tungsten light with no flash and daylight WB is a nicer option for a particular look or feel (crazy, that). Then again, if it's fluorescent light...*shudder*

Oh, and I'm curious. What type of reflector did you use for these shots? (gold, silver, white, yadda yadda, blue...wait, no...)

Most reactions

Back