My first shot of my eldest granddaughter...

watch your focus / shutter speed / shake.

1/13 sec is too slow for almost any hand-held capture -- espeically at 180mm.

At a minimum I would have shot this at 1/200 sec or so using VR.

Otherwise, I like how you posed her, but wish you didn't cut off the top of her head.

Carl, she is lovely. The eyes are soft but that is probably because of the slow shutter speed. You were at 180mm, so you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/200 of a second minimum.

A little extra light wouldn't hurt a thing.

With the overcast sky I think a reflector might have been just the ticket.

Thanks for the responses. I agree with the softness, and that's why I going to purchase the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens. Even at 1/250, that day, the eyes were soft. Thanks again for the c & c.....

A little extra light wouldn't hurt a thing.

With the overcast sky I think a reflector might have been just the ticket.
I agree, and I had purchased a reflector specifically for for that reason, and of course, forgetful me left it at the house.....I need to make a checklist.....

Thanks for the responses. I agree with the softness, and that's why I going to purchase the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens. Even at 1/250, that day, the eyes were soft. Thanks again for the c & c.....

A new lens wont help if you continue to shoot at an unrealistic ISO for the conditions which forces too slow of a shutter speed. (It's still a great lens -- just trying to make sure you're clear on expectations)

A few of the shots on the flickr done at 1/100sec are much better in terms of sharpness, but the eyes are still soft because you missed the focus. See DSC_0358_lzn and DSC_0357_lzn. In the former, the focus hit her front shoulder, the later her furthest shoulder. Her sweater is sharp in those pics, but her face -- being outside the DOF -- is soft.

The shots of her in front of the tree -- looks like the tree behind her is sharp.

I probably would have shot these all closer to 800 ISO (considering the overcast conditions and backlighting poses) which would have enabled me to get the shutter back up to something more managable for tact sharpness.

Then you really have to watch your focus points -- you may need to fine tune that lens. But most shots look like here face was never the focus point.

The 85mm is a great lens -- it's one of the sharpest you can buy -- but if your technique still lacks, then it's not going to shine. Plus shooting at lower f/stops can only exagerate the problems when you start shooting paper thin DOFs.

I see that the EXIF was no longer attached, so we can't see where the camera focused, but to my eye, the subject's hair (on the edges) was where the camera focused, and then there is the long shutter speed issue.

The 85 1.8 G is a fantastic lens, and you will enjoy it, but you need to get some of the basics down in order to realize the full potential of that or any other lens.

BTW: Will you copy and paste the EXIF for us, please?

• FIFVersion - 1.01
  • X-Resolution - 1 dpi
  • Y-Resolution - 1 dpi
  • Viewing Cond Illuminant - 19.6445 20.3718 16.8089
  • Viewing Cond Surround - 3.92889 4.07439 3.36179
  • Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type -D50
  • Measurement Observer - CIE 1931
  • Measurement Backing - 0 0 0
  • Measurement Geometry - Unknown (0)
  • Measurement Flare - 0.999%
  • Measurement Illuminant - D65
  • Image Width - 816
  • Image Height - 1024
  • Make - NIKON CORPORATION
  • Software - LightZone
  • Date and Time (Modified) -2015:10:25 15:57:30
  • Host Computer - Windows 7 6.1
  • ISO Speed - 250
  • Sensitivity Type - Recommended Exposure Index
  • Exif Version - 0220
  • Date and Time (Original) -2015:10:25 15:57:30
  • Date and Time (Digitized) -2015:10:25 15:57:30
  • Exposure Bias - 0 EV
  • Max Aperture Value - 5.7
  • Metering Mode - Multi-segment
  • Light Source - Unknown
  • Sub Sec Time - 40
  • Sub Sec Time Original - 40
  • Sub Sec Time Digitized - 40
  • Sensing Method - One-chip color area
  • File Source - Digital Camera
  • Scene Type - Directly photographed
  • Custom Rendered - Normal
  • Exposure Mode - Auto
  • White Balance - Auto
  • Digital Zoom Ratio - 1
  • Focal Length (35mm format) - 270 mm
  • Scene Capture Type - Standard
  • Gain Control - None
  • Contrast - Normal
  • Saturation - Normal
  • Sharpness - Normal
  • Subject Distance Range - Unknown
  • Software - LightZone
  • Orientation - Horizontal (normal)
  • Date Time - 2015:10:25 15:57:30
  • Host Computer - Windows 7 6.1
  • Make - NIKON CORPORATION
  • Creator Tool - LightZone 4.0.0
  • Metadata Date - 2015:10:26 07:08:28
  • Camera ID - 72157632833409356
  • Camera Type - Digital SLR

Last edited:
Wow! That didn't even tell me what lens you used.

that lightzone software probably stripping stuff out.

Hi Wizard1500.

Since the very top of her head is cut off, I scrolled the screen up to show what the crop would look like. IMO, cropping the top down to just a little above her left eyebrow, draws me in significantly.
You will get lots of different opinions on it, but it absolutely makes a positive difference in my eyes.
As is, it looks like she is looking towards me; with a the crop above the eyebrow, she seems to be looking AT me.

Either way, be mindful of it in the future ;)

• Hi Wizard1500.

Since the very top of her head is cut off, I scrolled the screen up to show what the crop would look like. IMO, cropping the top down to just a little above her left eyebrow, draws me in significantly.
    You will get lots of different opinions on it, but it absolutely makes a positive difference in my eyes.
    As is, it looks like she is looking towards me; with a the crop above the eyebrow, she seems to be looking AT me.

At your suggestion, I tried it, and I liked it. Thank you.

• Hi Wizard1500.

At your suggestion, I tried it, and I liked it. Thank you.

You are welcome.

Your 70-300mm VR-G lens is a good lens for portraiture. I've used mine quite a bit, and it's really a easy,easy lens to use. I'd recommend using AUTO ISO on duller days or when shooting at the beach or places where the sun goes from front to side to back lighting very easily as people move. Set the ISO level at a maximum of 3200 for outdoor, cloudy days, and set the minimum shutter speed at 1/160 second, and shoot it at f/5.6 for portraits. With the camera in Manual mode, the camera will regulate the ISO level to achieve the right exposure, which is 1/160 second at f/5.6.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back