My first SLR camera

that, and I can't really imagine ANYTHING small and hard and flying at the camera at over 60mph can be good for it.
If they're chrono'd at 280fps, that's actually about 200mph...

http://www.google.com/search?q=280+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I'd recommend a waterproof housing... camera+paint splatter=bad. :lol:
Waterproof housing isn't designed to withstand that kind of impact. Waste of money. Plastic bag is probably just as effective at preventing splatter.

If they're chrono'd at 280fps, that's actually about 200mph...

http://www.google.com/search?q=280+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Waterproof housing isn't designed to withstand that kind of impact. Waste of money. Plastic bag is probably just as effective at preventing splatter.

that kind of impact? They probably can withstand it, not worth the money tho cuz of their price. THey need to withstand the pressure of the water tens of feet down. Although paintballs do travel fast, they are very light and will unlikely damage your camera, maybe the filter on the end but thats it... Just get a bag to cover it up...

Honestly, my comment wasn't specifically intended to effectively address the problem so much as point out to OP that he may want to be really careful.

that kind of impact? They probably can withstand it, not worth the money tho cuz of their price. THey need to withstand the pressure of the water tens of feet down. Although paintballs do travel fast, they are very light and will unlikely damage your camera, maybe the filter on the end but thats it... Just get a bag to cover it up...
Uh....have you ever played paintball before?

[edit]
btw, there's a difference between being able to withstand pressure and being able to withstand an impact.

BrokenFilter3-26-06600.jpg

Are you planning on indoor or outdoor?

If outdoor, you will have more lens selection - I'm guessing pretty much most lens between 50mm to 300mm. Any longer, you may have to increase ISO to get faster shutter.

Only two indoor ones I've been to are DARK so you will need fast lens. Not even sure if f/2.8 is fast enough. Also, indoor ones I played at only had 2-3 viewing areas covered by dirty glass - this plus dark arena going to be a pain to focus.

I'm going to say most important accessory will be "FILTER FILTER FILTER". Paintball leave red mark through t-shirt + sweatshirt + windbreaker. Like above photo shows, it will do nasty things to glass. I'm also going to guess that you running around with a camera will make you a prime target for every smartass to take a shot at your lens/camera.

First of all, as I said the only thing you need to protect is the front of the lenss, the body can withstand an impact, just cover it with a good bag that wont break...

And that image you have shown, isnt a normal injury. Its probably point blank and turned up a little. As Most places cap fps at 220-250 FPS. Normally 300 fps max.

Yes I have palyed paintball...

The park I go to is 275fps but of course people always turn it up after they get checked...

The fact is, if you really want paintball photography sometimes you have to risk things!

I've actually had an injury similar to that (It takes a lot for me to bruise though). It didnt break the skin like in the picture, but it was the same size. Rental marker chrono'd at 280, from 15 yards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back