My first steps in a larger world. C & C

IByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally had some time to post my first photo. Overall, I like B&W, but right now trying out all the genres in this field to find my niche. At the time I only had the kit lens that came with my D5000. I keep going back to this place without my camera just stare for different ways to improve this picture. This particular photo I applied a green filter to this HDR, at least to my eye is looks good. Trust me I have a tough skin, grip, gripes and complaints are welcome to help start and keep me on the right path. Thank you in advance.

$B&W.jpg

Last edited:
I am still learning it all, so I can't help you out with technicalities, but I reckon you should probably upload the picture in a bigger size, you will get more C&C that way. :)

Lol yeah not many people like clicking the thumbnail I'll do it after the game, thanks.

Last edited:
its a little tilted and the sky looks blown out.

rokvi said:

Thanks for the input, but how can I recover the sky? I was looking at using different filters to show the sky. Regarding the tilting, this photo was taken before my tripod days, and thinking about reshooting this during winter break.

rokvi said:

Thanks for the input, but how can I recover the sky? I was looking at using different filters to show the sky. Regarding the tilting, this photo was taken before my tripod days, and thinking about reshooting this during winter break.
I would do this using an exposure mask layer. I would paint the areas that I wanted to be affected by the change. Then I would tinker with the exposure meter to see if the sky can be recovered. This also allows the rest of your photo to remain unaffected by any exposure changes you do to the painted area you want affected by the change.

I have those raw files(thank you external 3TB HD). When the physics stop running through my brain I'll redo it. I appreciate the help, and thanks again.

It looks like the sky was recorded as pure white with no detail so you probably won't be able to recover it.

ph0enix said:
It looks like the sky was recorded as pure white with no detail so you probably won't be able to recover it.
.....ck, sorry about that. That outburst needed to be done. Thanks for the heads up, I'm just going to delete this garbage and start fresh. This time I'm going to be a lot more prepared. I might wait until I see some more clouds in the sky or perhaps on a more cloudy day.....my creative flash bulb just turned on lol.

Don't get rid of it. Photoshop some clouds into it. I personally like it minus the white. It's got great character. Nice texture. I think its a good bw conversion. The tilt can be fixed pp also.

RebeccaAPhotography said:
Don't get rid of it. Photoshop some clouds into it. I personally like it minus the white. It's got great character. Nice texture. I think its a good bw conversion. The tilt can be fixed pp also.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I honestly forgot about adding clouds think it's time I visit YouTube lol

There are a hell of a lot worse photos that get posted here! If you like it keep it! And I know plenty of others who have said the same just not in this thread :) now is it a photo that will sell for millions.... No. But if you like it keep it! ;)

I went back and re-read your opening post where you said that you added a green filter to an HDR image. If it was an HDR image of -2,0,+2, you should have been easily able to capture the clouds in the sky. What exposures were you using for your HDR imaging?

Since I took 3 photos here is the data
Picture 1
F/5.6
Focal Length 50mm
Iso 1000
1/1000 sec

Picture 2
F/5.6
Focal length 50mm
Iso 3200
1/1000 sec

Picture 3