My first time shooting a sand drag race

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm up in Michigan doing the family thing for the weekend and right next door they were having some drag races - in the sand. So I ran over with the 1D I just happened to have with me and took some shots. Not only that, I met another photog from my area that has a sports photography business and he offered me a job. :) I'll meet with him next weekend at another event to see if it's something I want to do.

Anyway...

Here are a few shots from today.

641539103_eNJfj-L.jpg

641522887_252Kg-L.jpg

641555377_FT3NK-L.jpg

641286590_6cafg-L.jpg

641265700_8eWDW-L.jpg

641519122_JLvAy-L.jpg

Thoughts? I've never shot anything like this before. It as a blast, I really enjoyed the action.

Last edited:
Very cool...that looks like a lot of fun. I like the pics, but have one little nit with shots 3 & 4. In #'s 1 & 2, you nailed the motion in the rear wheels with the kicking of the sand (keeping everything else sharp...:thumbup:), but the tires in 3 & 4 are almost frozen with the sand kicking up behind them. It's like shooting a prop plane without a blur to the propeller...just don't look right.

Thanks for the feedback and you're absolutely right. I noticed this and later slowed my shutter speed down A LOT. That's why some look different than others. When I started I was shooting around 1/1250 then slowed it down to 1/320 as I too decided it didn't look right.

Wait a minute... are there two people roving around with the same avatar here or am I losing my mind? I thought tharmsen had that avatar.

Wait a minute... are there two people roving around with the same avatar here or am I losing my mind? I thought tharmsen had that avatar.
Could be, don't you know who that is a picture of? It's a very-very famous photographer. I'm shocked you don't recognize him. :)

It's me, tharmsen, I just stopped using my real name.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back