Personally, I draw up almost all of my shots, sometimes mentally rather than physically if I'm in a rush. I keep those images in my head, and create the real image to mirror them. Most every photo has a meaning to it, some kind of message, before the camera has even been picked up. Thats just my style, it doesn't work for everyone, but its a suggestion
You're not much into spontaneity, are you? I certainly appreciate this approach works for you, but it is the rare, rare moment I put a camera (on the street) to my eye with forethought as to what I am going to shoot nor do I think Mike did - hence his statement of "urbanish" shooting. Watch some of Jay Maisel's walks around NYC on youtube and you'll understand at least one other approach to shooting on the street approach. I would encourage more spontaneity and less a clinical approach to a newbie. But that's just me.
I took his statement of "urbanish" as being the locale, not the shooting style.
Almost everything I shoot is spontaneous in nature, purely macro and wildlife with the occasional portrait session. That said, I have an image in mind before I head out, and I wait until my opportunity comes to get the shot I wanted. There are shots in between, but rarely do they make it when stacked up against the original concept. I'm not conforming nature to my idea, I already know its going to happen because I spend enough time in the field, so I just wait until its the right moment. Look at most successful photojournalists, this is to some degree the same strategy.
I think you may have
seriously misinterpreted my own approach if your coining it as "clinical," that might be my fault, maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Here's an example of a recent day of shooting, which ended up with one of my best macro images yet.
At home:
- Thought of what I want to shoot (not saying I won't shoot other things, this is just a goal, a starting point)
- Think of what colors I might have to work with, what flowers are in bloom? What gear might I need?
- What do I want to be unique about the photo? I settled on coloration to produce a unique bokeh, while having the fly on a vibrant flower.
Head out to the field:
- Find an area with my subjects, in this case Hover Fly.
- I observe their behavior, think of what angle I want to shoot them from to get my shot. I've spent thousands of hours in the area, so I already have an idea.
- Wait until one is in the right position for me to get the composition and angle I want. In this case it took three hours of waiting between two bushes they frequented. Every fly that arrived was different, behaved different, and required spontaneous shooting.
End result was a beautiful image, mixed between the loose qualities I wanted, and what the fly brought into the image behaviorally. This isn't at all an unemotional, calculating way of shooting (by definition whats meant by "clinical"). I just care about my subjects enough to put some forethought into my photos, rather than doing them the injustice of spraying and praying.
Everyone gets lucky shots every now and then, but IMO if you don't put the forethought into an image, it will routinely pale in comparison to those that are really inspired and have had some consideration put into them.
Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to clarify. There are an infinite number of approaches to shooting. I personally enjoy those shooting styles used by many NatGeo photographers that I've gotten to speak to or have otherwise learned about, for most its a derivative of the "compose, then wait" mindset.
Here is one example: