My first venture into my backyard..........

j-digg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, hunting around with my macro lens at least :lol: These were on a pretty windy day.. I was sortve anchoring down whatever branches / stems the little guys happend to be on. These were handheld while sitting on a cooler so it wasnt a complete PitA but it still added a little more frustration on top of the wind... Man I learned a lot, and was lucky to get these 2 (semi)decent images out of maybe a half hour - hour of shooting, finally the wind just got too constant and powerful.

Taken with my 7d, 100mm 2.8 Macro L, and a 580ex II mounted on-camera.

This one was cropped pretty heavily, taking advantage of the 7d's res ;)
4709091480_479c5da2f8_b.jpg

4709091664_29b85ca89b_b.jpg

I may have went overboard with the sharpening a tad, the focus seems to be slightly off of the eyes in both pics :confused: I will have to go out on another backyard adventure under a bit better conditions.

These aren't too bad at all for your first time out w/ the macro. You say they are pretty heavily cropped. Think you were shooting closer to 1:2? Even at 1:1, those syrphids require a pretty heavy crop to get very close. I like the syrphid shot the best (1st one).

Cool, thanks guys.

It is very possible I was shooting around 1:2 maybe even less... I think I was still autofocusing with these ones, so Im not entirely sure on what magnification it was at.... hmm it doesnt say in the EXIF does it? I could always post the original too.

If the 2 had met it would have been an awesome photo. Also would have made an awesome video. I'd love to see some macro video. I know this is a photo forum but it would be cool none the less.

If the 2 had met it would have been an awesome photo. Also would have made an awesome video. I'd love to see some macro video. I know this is a photo forum but it would be cool none the less.

I've thought about doing that, but I'm too shaky for video...maybe if I get a good tripod I'll try that out.

I like the first most, but I will say, it looks like the focus hit the middle of his body rather than the head. It's still pretty sharp though.

Keep it up.

the spider photo is awesome! love how its creeping down the flower...very nice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back