My first wedding shoot

Not a fan of most of these. PP is not the greatest--too low on the contrast and poor use of lighting. Shot of the grandpa could have been a lot better, considering he flipped the bill for a lot of the wedding. Looks either too soft/OOF or like someone went overboard with noise reduction. I'm glad the bride knew what she wanted though, it's probably my favorite shot of the bunch.

Not a fan of most of these. PP is not the greatest--too low on the contrast and poor use of lighting. Shot of the grandpa could have been a lot better, considering he flipped the bill for a lot of the wedding. Looks either too soft/OOF or like someone went overboard with noise reduction. I'm glad the bride knew what she wanted though, it's probably my favorite shot of the bunch.

The shot of grandpa was a crop. The original was not that pleasing so I cropped to get a closer view. As a result the quality is degraded somewhat. This is another thing I learned from this shoot. A higher mp motor would have been handy for shots I needed to crop.

Any tips on using the lighting better? These are all natural light. No Flash. I need flash.

I don't mean to sound vicious or hateful but....I don't really like any of these photos. Glistening foreheads, uber-harsh shadows, motion/camera blur, dark faces, weird focus, unnecessary cross-processed look, midtone b&w images.... I'm sorry, they just don't do it for me on the professional level of wedding photography.

I don't mean this with spite. It's just a summary of my observations.

DiskoJoe said:
The shot of grandpa was a crop. The original was not that pleasing so I cropped to get a closer view. As a result the quality is degraded somewhat. This is another thing I learned from this shoot. A higher mp motor would have been handy for shots I needed to crop.

Any tips on using the lighting better? These are all natural light. No Flash. I need flash.

Honestly, you CANNOT be a good wedding photographer without being very, very good at using flash. That's pretty much the single most important thing in wedding photography, in my opinion/experience.

I don't mean to sound vicious or hateful but....I don't really like any of these photos. Glistening foreheads, uber-harsh shadows, motion/camera blur, dark faces, weird focus, unnecessary cross-processed look, midtone b&w images.... I'm sorry, they just don't do it for me on the professional level of wedding photography.

I don't mean this with spite. It's just a summary of my observations.

Its okay. It would be weird if everybody was touchy feely and just patted me on the back. I know there are problems and more of them then I would see on my own. But this is why I like to share here. People will give me a honest opinion.

DiskoJoe said:

Honestly, you CANNOT be a good wedding photographer without being very, very good at using flash. That's pretty much the single most important thing in wedding photography, in my opinion/experience.

This will probably be my next purchase seeing how I have been needing this for a while.

Put the subject between you and the sun, and get in shade. Yeah i feel the same way on contrast on these.

You dont have to use flash for most of it, just control your light better.

Bought a sony hvl-f42am flash and some diffusers today. Questions will be coming soon after it arrives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back