My fortress of solitude

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't shared a photo on the forum in the while. Thought I'd share this one today.

Taking not too far from where I live and originally was going to shoot this in the early morning but I ran into some tasks that took much, much longer than expected but by later afternoon it kind of worked out as the cloud formations and the lower sun really made this scene pop more. I really like it and it's a photo I'm kind of proud. Others may not like it but that isn't the purpose why I took this photo. It's a shot I've always wanted to take but always seem to drive by and never stop so this time I did and I'm proud of myself for that. Had people look at me weird when they drove by. It's like...have they never seen someone with a camera taking a picture before?!

Taken with the Fujifilm XT2 with the 60 2.4 macro lens.
1/640th, f/8, ISO 200.

This is actually several vertical stills stitched together in Lightroom.

My Fortress of Solitude by Nicholas Erwin, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like it. Love the scattered clouds. I, personally, would have taken the highlights down in the clouds a bit and get more definition and get rid of some of the blown sections. This is not meant as a criticism just what my preference would be.

Did you use a grad filter or edit one in post?

I really like it. Love the scattered clouds. I, personally, would have taken the highlights down in the clouds a bit and get more definition and get rid of some of the blown sections. This is not meant as a criticism just what my preference would be.

Did you use a grad filter or edit one in post?

No grad filter. I darkened the blues a little. Fujifilm seems to do well with this, especially when Velvia color profile is applied. I mean that's pretty much it. haha

I like this as I love clouds, my only gripe is either the saturation or dehaze is ramped up a tad too high? Or maybe its the vibrance? Either way I love clouds, did I say I love clouds?:D

I like this as I love clouds, my only gripe is either the saturation or dehaze is ramped up a tad too high? Or maybe its the vibrance? Either way I love clouds, did I say I love clouds?:D

It's probably because I darkened the blues. But I hardly touched the saturation and dehaze slider. Just contrast. But maybe I over did it a bit but if I did tone it down which I did try, it felt too flat for me. Then again, I'm someone who loves punchy and vibrant images. So guess it's just my style, I don't know. Haha.

Maybe I'll do a re-edit later after it wears off on me.

Thanks!

Gorgeous shot. Very dramatic sky and nice opposing colors. Well done IMO. I think the treatment is fine and adds just the right amount of juice to the render.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back