My kids at play - C&C

ghostdog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First time posting for C&C. I enjoy chronicling my kids growing up with pictures. Here are shots of them at play in the park. I could use some feedback on the stuff I did right (if anything) and the stuff I did wrong. Thanks.

$IMG_7463.jpg

$IMG_8216.jpg

$IMG_8263.jpg

$IMG_8272.jpg

5. My son has a bit of a runny nose, but I like this shot anyway. He's laughing hysterically and it's just so him.
$IMG_7122.jpg

I really love #3. I like the way your daughter frames your son. 2&4 look good. just bump the exposure on 4
1 and 5 have too much dead space
nice captures though

Nice set. These type of shots are probably my favorite thing to shoot right now too, I have a 1 year old daughter and a 3 year old daughter.

I agree with the critique of the first shot, too much dead space and you've cropped her hair out of the frame. I think a movement slightly to your right would have eliminated some of the dead space and created a better composition. Also, the bright pink in the upper middle part of the frame is distracting and draws my eye.

The center framing works well in the second shot.

I like the fourth as well, but as has already been mentioned, it would benefit with a bump in exposure.

Thanks everyone for your comments & critiques.

For 1 & 5) I see the dead space now and how re-framing would help here. As obvious as it is now, I was not able to put my finger on what was lacking here before. I think this feedback will help me see it going forward.

For 2) vertical shots are always difficult for me. I never know how to frame them. I'm glad to hear that center frame worked ok here. Thanks Bo4key.

For 3) Thanks LuckySe7en. I'm very glad to hear that this one worked for you. I wasn't sure how it would be received. I thought that maybe the foreground might be seen as too distracting. But I like when I can use foreground blur (another person off to the side, an object, or a raised hand, etc.) to add debt. When I look at these I feel like I'm still there and I'm just peering in on them at play.

For 4) I need to get more comfortable with stopping down the ISO. This shot was taken only at 400. I'm lucky I didn't lose the shot altogether. I have a 7D and only recently starting taking shots at 1600. When I did, low and behold I had more keepers. I already increased the exposure on this one by 1/3 stop in LR. I'll increase it more.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back