My lens is making a noise.......

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
when im manually focusing, my lens (18-55 nikkor kit lens) makes a little click when i go passes the 35mm portion and kind of stalls just a bit. its a used camera but only has something like 300 total exposures on the body and lens, and its always made that click.

any idea to as what it could be, i plan on taking it to Penn camera but they've been closed all weekend

Based on playing around with my 18-55 (which I hardly use anymore and doesn't have that problem) it sounds like plastic on plastic action. The maximum aperture return spring and the screws holding the lens mount in place might be the only metal parts in this lens. What is interesting and might somehow have something to do with your problem is that at around 35mm the focus ring is closest to the zoom barrel of the lens. Hmm, now I'm tempted to put this puppy back on my D40 and see how much worse it is than the Tamron 17-50.

Edit: I just took a look at my 50mm f/1.4 AI'd which is pretty much nothing but heavy metal and glass. Talk about worlds apart between that and today's lenses. Too bad it seems to have lost most of its lubrication (which makes it a little hard to focus).

Last edited:
when im manually focusing, my lens (18-55 nikkor kit lens) makes a little click when i go passes the 35mm portion and kind of stalls just a bit. its a used camera but only has something like 300 total exposures on the body and lens, and its always made that click.

any idea to as what it could be, i plan on taking it to Penn camera but they've been closed all weekend

I would go have it looked at anyway. I have the 18-55mm AF-S VR Nikkor f/3.5-5.6g, and mine does not make a noise when manually focusing it.

Most reactions

Back