My little man

Missdaisy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this pic last weekend for my sons 6 year pictures. My boys have sleepy eyes natually (puffy upper eye lids) it's so hard for me to get good light in his eyes. Would a reflector of some sort have helped here?

aaron1.jpg

Do you have the ORIGINAL shot?

I have the original on my home computer, I'm at work now, I'll post it up when I get home.

Maybe some fill flash would have helped, I've been using my on camera flash. I ordered a sb600 from B&H it should come today!!!! :D

I'm guessing the camera saw the lil dudes shirt, and compensated for the rest of the scene; when it should have been compensating for his face (since that's the most important piece here). An SB600 would help here (are they still ridiculously priced?) - even on-camera flash would work, but you would have to use such a small aperture to control how slow the camera would fire that it might ruin any artistic affect you wanted to go for.

I would also invest in a little mini-tri-pawd for your SB-600. No reason in getting an off-camera dedicated flash. . .and then sticking it on camera. :drool:

Maybe some fill flash would have helped, I've been using my on camera flash.

Definitely. In this case, I think an off-camera strobe with a diffuser of some sort would have really perked up this image. Two strobes and diffusers would have been even better.

I'm guessing the camera saw the lil dudes shirt, and compensated for the rest of the scene; when it should have been compensating for his face (since that's the most important piece here). An SB600 would help here (are they still ridiculously priced?) - even on-camera flash would work, but you would have to use such a small aperture to control how slow the camera would fire that it might ruin any artistic affect you wanted to go for.

I would also invest in a little mini-tri-pawd for your SB-600. No reason in getting an off-camera dedicated flash. . .and then sticking it on camera. :drool:

The sb600 was only $220 I didn't think that was too bad considering I almost bought the sb900 at $469. I hadn't even considered a tripod for my flash!!! :thumbup:

The sb600 was only $220 I didn't think that was too bad considering I almost bought the sb900 at $469. I hadn't even considered a tripod for my flash!!! :thumbup:

If you don't have a tripod already, then I would recommend instead to get an umbrella stand with adapter for the flash. You will be able to position it higher, and then also have your tripod for the camera.

For future purchases I would check out professional photography forums (Digital Weddign Forums springs to mind) and look at their classifieds. I got all three of my SB600's from a single person for about 450 bucks total (sadly I didn't buy them all at once). You can find some stupid good deals, on equipment used by professionals (or at least people with a vested interest in keeping their gear nice and tidy).

A tripod is a good thing to have period. If you decide to do this for money making purposes you'll eventually need that kind of gear anyway. The good thing about getting a tripod over an umbrella stand is that a tripod is multipurpose - the umbrella stand is really only for one thing - holding the camera flash. It will not hold up well in any kind of crazy weather conditions - not unless you want to spend a heft amount of cash on something like an Avenger stand.

For outside shots - barebulbing it is fine as you have no surfaces to bounce off of, so the light is already going to spread nicely. Also, zooming the lens (n the SB600) to a wide angle, will give you more spread, and ensure you don't have a tight narrow band hitting the face of your dude.

I'm sure this is going to sound like a stupid question but do you have to have a special tripod for flash? Or is it just a special head?
I do have a tripod and head for my camera already.

A "tripod" for your flash isn't really a tripod so much as it is a stand to be able to position your flash. It serves a VERY specific purpose: to mount your flash on, and stick a light modifier in front of it (umbrella, softbox, gridspots. . .etc).

Lightstands & Booms | B&H Photo Video

Essentially, you need to decide what you are going to use your flash for, to determine whether or not you want to have drag a lightstand and umbrella around.

You could use a camera tripod as a flash support system if you have a flash shoe mount that has a threaded hole on the bottom of it. Many accessory "cold shoes" have such a threaded hole, which is 1/4 inch by 20 threads per inch.
Also, most umbrella swivel mounting brackets come with what is called a "spigot"; with a spigot that has a 1/4x20 threaded receptacle, the spigot can be threaded to the tripod's tripod mounting screw, and the umbrella bracket mounted onto the spigot, and then a flash mounted onto the top of the umbrella swivel mounting bracket, either with,or without an umbrella.

The on-line web store FlashZebra has all the hardware you'd need, plus cables and triggering systems. FlashZebra.com

An SB600 flash hooked up to a simple optical slave trigger could fire the flash by using your on-board flash set to a low-power manual setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back