My main problem/fear as a beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Boutch, Jan 24, 2018.

1. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Worry about composition. Didn't take the shot. Didn't improve on composition.

Worry about the light. Didn't take the shot. Didn't learn about how to use the light.

Not taking a perfect shot......that is every image ever taken. There is no perfect shot. Only the shot you took and the lessons learned from it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I rarely show my photographs to other photographers as I get complaints that my images are not "sharp", are not straight, are not exposed "right" and other similar comments. I do exhibit my photographs publicly in art (as opposed to photography) exhibitions and no one ever mentions those things.

When I started in serious photography, I had a 1930s folding Agfa with a wire frame viewfinder and one fixed lens. I was amazed to be able to fix the pictures I could see - it never occurred to me that they might not be good enough - good enough for what? They amazed me and that is the only part that matters.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    this. nothing is better than experience.

4. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That's the impression with which I was left, as well.

I posted some photos I took of some Ornamental Grass my wife grows in some of her gardens. Just looking at that grass: It's very pretty when it's all tan like that, with its wispy tops and all.

Knowing that the eye and the camera often (usually? always?) see things differently, I took lots of photos--from different angles, with different composition, from different distances, etc. And because the wind decided to come up just as I decided to do this: Two or more of each shot. (I was pushing the limit at the shutter speed I was using. [Again: I should have bumped the ISO.])

As I expected: Nearly all of them came out mostly uninteresting. I kept one photo of the entire plant for the purpose of context. Picked two sets of two each of nearly identical macros, and cropped one of each into at least into interesting (IMHO) macros.

Complaints or comments/observations?

Personally, I appreciate critical review of my photos. I don't necessarily have to agree. Whether I agree or not: I get other perspectives on what I've done, which may lead to my doing something different, perhaps (probably?) better, another time.

Fair enough. But then why are you so averse to critical review?

Maybe some of your efforts aren't as sharp or straight, or exposed as well as they could be? Maybe, by taking-in and considering honest criticism, you could make your efforts even more amazing to yourself?

Just a thought. ICBW.

I've posted a fair number of photos here since I joined less than a month ago. I've received a few "likes," a couple "winner"s and some pointers on how to improve. The complements are rewarding and the suggestions educational.

It's all good :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sharp is a bourgeoise concept, to quote HCB. Sharpness is an inconsequential aspect of a picture which gets seized on as a sine qua non of photography. No one would dismiss Monet as being unsharp or too bright. I want people to look at my picture, not my photography.
    My pictures certainly are not as sharp etc as they could be. They don't have as many cats in them as they could, either. If I see a picture that has no cats in it, I photograph it without cats. If I see a picture without sharpness, I photograph it without sharpness. Etc. I am not adverse to critical review, but I am adverse to 'standard' unthinking comments that have nothing to do with the picture presented.

6. ShutterVan

ShutterVan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How about this for a thought from a digital noob: I learn as much from looking and trying to correct my "not so great" photos if not more than I learn from getting a great shot.

I used to not want to delete the not so great photos because of so many "what if"s but now I delete if I can't correct -- and, it's second nature. So I snap, try to correct, delete and learn why the photo didn't turn out as I wanted. And yes, I have a lot of time invested in learning.

7. mcap1972

mcap1972 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just stick to it and you will be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boutch

Boutch TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, over the past week I’ve been shooting more and more each time I go out. I think my confidence is growing each time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    ATTA' way!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I've heard it said that even a fool can learn by their own mistakes.
    Not shooting stops you making the mistakes to learn from :)

When you think a shot might be reasonable take a shot, see if you can improve the composition & take another... Then review the shots later - try to work out what bits worked and what was wrong with those bits that didn't.
    Feel free to post questions here if you need help on solving bits, especially any that always seem wrong.

I doubt there are any here who can't learn more from this approach.:icon_study:

11. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

As Cartier-Bresson said: "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst." So your objective is to get to 10,001 as soon as you can.

Glad you're starting to snap away. Tell yourself (and this is true), your objective is not to take a great picture. It is to play with your camera. So put an apple on a table. Shoot it at f2.8 (or whatever the narrowest aperture setting is on your lens). Now shoot it on your widest. Shoot it with available light streaming in from a nearby window. Now shoot it with light bouncing off a white wall or using a reflector. Now shoot it with your popup flash. Change the ISO setting and see how all of this changes (hint: low at noise or grain as your ISO # gets higher). Then take out your SD card and compare the shots, look for how the changes in aperture or light or ISO or shutter speed alter the photo. Don't decide if you "like" a shot or not, treat these as experiments--you're finding out how slow your shutter speed can be before you get blur, how harsh (or soft) particular types of light are. All you've just done with those 20 shots is "play with your camera." All of the pictures may be crap. Irrelevant. What you're doing is playing with the camera, learning how stuff works, starting to identify what may be your style as a photographer.