My main problem/fear as a beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Boutch, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Boutch

Boutch TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    is actually taking photos. All I want to do is play with my camera, practice and improve, but at the same time I find myself reluctant to pull the trigger.

All I think is ‘the light could be better’ or ‘I can’t find the best composition’ or even ‘this shot would be better with a different lense’.

Has anyone else been in this position? Any tips for how to break out of it?

2. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Pull the trigger anyway. As beginners we need, besides all the knowlege and equipment, shots taken.
    Thousands and thousands of shots taken. Every bad shot just takes you closer to the good ones.

And re-shoot. Take your images home, study, get feedback, and then go back and take the shot you wished you got the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Woodsman

Woodsman No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Back in film days when your starting out and short of funds and had to pay some serious dollars for developing only to find nothing you liked on the prints, yes been there done that. But with digital just think to yourself this is not costing me a penny and fire away. Sometimes I have shot things and forgotten that the camera has been in some custom mode from a previous series of shots and the photos do not come out as expected. Quite often they can be fixed in post processing. You won't learn, improve or enjoy the hobby unless you shoot and shoot a lot with different light, composition, lenses and situations. Shooting a lot will help you decide what subjects you prefer and personal preferences on setup. So fire away, you can always delete on the computer what you don't like.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, playing with the camera, and practicing with it, is something that MANY of us did back in the film days, as a way to improve our camera-handling, lens-changing,and familiarity with the cameras and lenses we had. Pictures and prints used to cost real,significant money in film, in developing, and in printing-out or enlarging; practice can HELP, yes, it can! But, if you're truly a beginning shooter, it helps to actually press the shutter release too! No offense is intended, but your situation sounds as if perhaps some of the issue is a desire to achieve perfection; perfection is a big,bad enemy! Strive for, "good enough!", and shoot more pictures, but do spend time analyzing the photos, in order to ascertain what could have been improved, and to boost your chances for success on subsequent shoots.

Get out there-and SHOOT!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Every photograph you take doesn't have to be a masterpiece, it doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't even have to be good. It only has to be something you like for whatever reason.

Shoot birds or wildlife or kids or dogs or anything that moves around quickly. They will quickly eliminate that need for a different lens or the perfect composition or the perfect light or the perfect anything because you will learn in a hurry to settle for whatever happens to be in the viewfinder at that moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All the time.
    Change subjects, and everything can be new and strange.
    Heck I never heard of Lacros until I saw it a prior yearbook of the high school yearbook that I'm helping.
    I only looked at a 4 min YouTube video. That first game is goina be a steep learning experience.

Just dive right in and shoot.
    Don't worry too much about it till later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably not good to be new to a site (meaning myself) and to go disagreeing with all the previous posters...however lol...the longer you are like this the better. The world is filled with thoughtless images. Maybe you and your images will be an exception? Someone not ready to press the shutter until the shutter is ready to be pressed isn't a bad thing. Best of luck to you!

8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have had that same feeling since day one. I've been shooting for a little over 2 years. Derrel suggested I buy some used John Hedgcoe books. I did, about a dollar a piece off of Amazon. They are old but the principles still apply and they are loaded with projects that are easy to understand. It bridged the anxiety gap and got me out shooting specific, goal oriented shoots. The gap was focus on a single project and presented challenge and the reward was fun. I learned a few things along the way as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Just point the thing at the thing and take a picture.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Nintendoeats

Nintendoeats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

You have to shoot with what you are given. The eye sees much different from the camera, so even if you thought you had perfect light the image may come out bland and a better composition is often just a case of moving around. It helps to grab a good number of bad compositions on the way to the good one. The best lens is the one on the camera, so think about compositions with that lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PJcam

PJcam No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Some things are right to read about first.

Some things are easier to try and learn as we do.

When we do both learning tends to come together better.

You don't have to buy films, you don't have to pay for developing and printing.

You got nothing to lose by playing with your camera but everything to gain.

If you don't like what you shot, learn from it, delete it and try again.

• Agree Agree x 3