My main problem/fear as a beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Boutch, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This ^^^^^

A couple years ago I took a photo of a leaky faucet for reference for selecting a replacement at the store. Lo and behold: It became one of my favourite photos. A couple weeks ago I submitted it to a photo contest here on TPF. Will it win? Heck, I dunno. Will anybody else like it? *shrug* Hope so, but it doesn't really matter. I like it. It "speaks" to me.

And this ^^^^^

And this ^^^^^

Besides, as somebody else mentioned: It's digital. Anything that doesn't turn out to your liking you can just dump. Heck, I've taken dozens of photos with not a one of them worth keeping. Tossed 'em all. But be careful. Sometimes a bit of sharpening, some colour correction, some cropping & re-framing, etc. in a photo editor can rescue what might otherwise be not worth keeping.

Lastly: You learn by doing. Well, reading and guidance and doing :). But certainly doing is a big component. Just do it :)

Then again: If you're happy just buying hardware, learning it, discussing it, maybe selling it and buying other, etc., who'm I to say you're Doing It Wrong?

Oh, to answer your question: No, I've never had that problem. I love pulling the trigger. Repeatedly. Esp. with a DSLR. It's fun hearing the *click*s :D (And sometimes I even get a photo worth keeping.)

2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just shoot. It's digital. You could take literally a thousand shots in 10 minutes, erase them all in a few seconds, and do it all over again with exactly zero risk. No one is watching over your shoulder to judge whether or not every shot is a masterpiece.

The irony, of course, is that the less you shoot, the more likely you are to get a clunker.

You want to increase the likelihood of good images? Just.Shoot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kpizzle

kpizzle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I found myself in a similar position. Like everyone said. Just shoot. One thing that helps me is brainstorm things to do. For example, last night I played around with light painting. Last weekend I set up kids paw patrol toys on a homemade set and shot those. I bought some cheap desk laps at target and a big roll of paper to make the set. Brainstorm ideas..write them down and do it. One idea I thought would be neat is light paint kids name and print it. Did the light painting I did last night come out perfect. Far from it but I did learn and now brainstorming on different techniques to improve.:bek113:

4. Boutch

Boutch TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went on a roadtrip over the weekend and took heaps of pictures. I think that a few of them are even pretty good. I still shied away from setting up and taking what I thought could a great composition, but I have taken note of these places and I will return when I have sharpened my skills a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You're over complicating things! :)

IMHO, one of the keys in being a good photographer is to be creative with what you have and in turn produce the best images under any condition.

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd be careful with "just shoot". It can get you into all sorts of bad habits. It may be just me but I prefer to go out with specific goals and a plan. Slow down, stay the course of your goal and plan. If you do, opportunity will arise outside of the plan and goals. I raise my camera and put it down without taking a shot way more than I used to. Practice focusing, framing, exposure in your back yard. Develop a standard so to speak both mechanically, and artistically.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    @Boutch, the results of my Sandhill Cranes photo shoot yesterday demonstrates some of what I and others are trying to tell you. I didn't plan that. Nor did I execute it well. I tossed 85% of what I shot, and even some of what I kept ain't that great. (Heck, maybe none of 'em are.) But I did end up with some I felt worth keeping and I did learn a couple lessons.

And I had a heckuva a lotta fun playing photographer shooting those guys :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand your point, and I don't think anyone is suggesting the pray and spray method of photography. However, when someone is starting out and feels crippled by worrying if the image is going to be 'good enough', it's useful to understand that it doesn't matter. If it's a clunker, so what? You'll never know what will or won't come out good until you take the shot.

The advice to "just shoot" doesn't mean "keep hitting the shutter until you get something good" - it means "you need to find out what does and doesn't work, and you do that by taking a lot of shots at first to learn what the camera can do, what angles work better, which settings will give you the result that you actually want."

After you learn more, it's easier to predict even in the viewfinder that some scene or angle isn't really working, but when you're still learning, you don't necessarily know unless you take the shot and then study it - the good and the bad. But there's nothing to study if you're too scared to even take the shot.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A careful re-reading of the OP suggests that the OP is in fact, AFRAID to push the shutter release button for fear that the photo in front of him is simply not any good. This is not shooting with a goal nor with a plan, but refusing to shoot due to some form of mental blockage that presupposes that every photo MUST be of high,high quality.

A good strategy would be a tip I read recently in the National Geographic Field Guide, in which one of their film-era photographers mentioned that he had a working method in which he'd use his first 10 to 15 frames as ways to "hone in on" in very-best way to make a good photo; he'd use the early frames to see how the subject moved, how the environment actually was, and what was working,and what was not working, and then after a short time of actively photographing, he would--on the spot!--"learn" how best to photograph the situation.

This is an old strategy,and it's often called "working the scene". I've done it for years, and it works splendidly. Even the best-laid plans can go astray. Plans made for a future event often do not come together in the real world, and so, the photographer often needs to 'work the scene', try different photographic approaches, different lenses, different viewpoints, different camera techniques, and so on, in order to make what's there into photos.

For the beginning shooter, MAKING exposures is vastly more-critical than worrying about the quality of the shot, and ending up afraid to push the button,and coming home with nothing at all. Get out there, and SHOOT photos. Practice is fine for the mechanics of photography; focusing and lens changing and that type of stuff, but there's nothing to show for one's efforts unless the shutter release button is used a bit. No pressy, no piccies!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ACS64

ACS64 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My interest in photography began in the late '60s early '70s. Even in the days "expensive" film the advice of professionals was to take a lot of pictures because they weren't all going to good but your editor/customer wasn't going to pay for the pictures not taken. In those days National Geographic told it's photographers to plan on one 36 exp roll of film for every day the were on assignment including the "travel days" because the film we now are calling "expensive" they called cheap. Not getting the images was expensive. Gordan Parks, one of the great photographers of the 20th century was quoted as saying if he produced 1 in 20 photos that he liked and his editor actually bought 1 in 36 he was he was meeting his goals.

This is to say what others have said above, go ahead and press the shutter even when you are just playing around the controls at your desk or in the your easy chair. Then evaluate the results.

AC

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Yes - it's digital. Once you've bought the camera and lens, it's basically free. I have more of a problem trying to make the ordinary stuff around me a little more interesting.