My main subject

kjschneiderb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since he is still little, he is more cooperative so I mainly take pictures of him..here are some shots from this morning..would love some feedback on what can/needs to be improved. I am pretty sure the 2nd one is blurry.

5-12-07055.jpg

5-12-07051.jpg

5-12-07060.jpg

new here..and new to photography. Can anyone tell me how to make these pictures better?

5-12-07060.jpg

5-12-07051.jpg

5-12-07055.jpg

What a Pretty baby:hail: B/w portraits of babys is popular I like them. No2 is soft, I have been a little out of focus to make pic soft [man focus lens],instead of a filter. Some dont like doing that. Babys and kids are fun to shot, some I have on my wall are snapshots and not posed. Just kids being kids, have fun.:D I like the lighting on his face in no3

Heya kj, welcome to ThePhotoForum :D.
No wonder you chose your son as your favourite subject, he is such a pretty little boy!
The softness in No 2 (unintentional as it might have been when you took the photo) is ok and lends itself nicely to baby-photography, I think!

Your thread should be over in our Galleries, in "People and Pets", which is where I shall move it, for The Beginners' Place is more like a "Q&A-Forum", and the galleries are for showing one's photos, ok?

And I shall go into your post and edit in some spaces between the pics, so they don't run one into the next, ok? (Always push the space bar TWICE when you insert the links).

Have fun and keep us flooded in lovely baby pics :D.

Right ... now I merged the two photo threads you had started since it is usually sufficient to have one thread out only ... now it looks a bit funny with two photos posts, I might delete one of the two --- maybe?

Since you had asked how you could make these better, here's my 4 cents (2 for each opinion)

1) If you look at pics 1 and 3, what is the most prominent single piece of the image? In #1, its the broad, non-detailed cheek. In #2, it's the crown of the baby's head. (note that both of these 'pieces' are at the powerful 'thirds' point in the image.(read up on Rule of Thirds - its not really a rule but a suggestion)

Your point of view has made these less interesting features into the centerpiece. So, my advice is, look carefully through the viewfinder and make certain that what you consider interesting in in the prominent part of the image.

#2 -the baby's face is framed beautifully by his hands but there is lots of extraneous stuff around and his face is in the absolute center. I would have cropped, in the camera or out of it, so that the composition is much tighter.
One needs to exclude what detracts from the image.

The baby is cute - but that has nothing to do with whether it is a good picture or not. Don't get waylaid into loving an image because you love the subject.

Learn to look critically at a picture and define what you wish you could have removed or added to maximize the impact - and then try to make it happen.

I hope this is understandable and useful.

Lew

PS. it is my opinion that, more often than not 4 x 6, the native aspect ratio of most cameras, is terrible for most pictures of people. 4 x 5 seems always to be better - filling the frame more. There are exceptions that I am certain that people could demonstrate but I tend to love 4 x 5 and hate 4 x 6.

51207051bbgy9.jpg

One thing that bugs me in the B&W photo only are the 2 tags on the blanket. They should either be tucked out of the sight before you shoot or edited out afterward. It just distracts one from looking at the subject. And other than the fact that (I agree) the second one is blurry or soft in focus, they are pretty good. Nice job and keep trying.

First of all, welcome.. :)
Second... Listen to The Traveler, he is very wise and has a lot to teach.
also, I agree about the cropping out any empty space or distractions from the photo.
This one is only my opinion and keep in mind it's just a personal thing for me not a rule of any kind in photography. I like when the blanket is one color if the shirt has a pattern. Do you know what I mean? Or vice versa, the shirt is solid color and the blanket is a pattern. I think it's more pleasing to the eye but I might just be weird. haha.
Great start! Adorable baby. :)

Most reactions

Back