My misrable life with Nikon and Photography

chirantha7777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

- First digital camera Sony Ericsson K750 - Nice but lots of motion blur!

- Second digital camera Sony Cypershot W210 - Nice! but lots of motion blur! Also problem with exposure and noise so bought a YN-560 and used it as a optical slave on S2 mode. Two of the three YN-560's died!!! Fed up of this I decide to buy a camera that supports hot shoe.

- Nikon P7000... I buy one and notice it has a bad noise when zooming (Bad for video)... while one is returned I put faith in Nikon and buy another P7000... The one set back returns with "Its normal". Two weeks later its lens gets suck and is sent back, fixed and returned. I notice that the YN-560 does not trigger on the P7000 (odd reason WHY?) I buy a Nissin Di622 Mark II to find that it does not work with the P7000... Manual exposure plus to way to control the zoom. The third YN-560 dies.

Further I am angered by the fact that both P7000 misses focus 50% of the time! More dumb than my Sony W210.

Angry and upset plus outraged I buy a SB-900! (One of the best investments I made!). I shoot for time. Notice that AF assist does not work with Contrast Detect focus! Also note that Commander mode is very limited in the P7000 with SB-900.

First P7000's lens covers go sleepy eye. I get rid of them. Also few months later the mode dial stops working to find that one of the ribbons has cracked

The second P7000 comes into action! but its lens covers also go sleepy eye! Finally during this time I find software's that help focus unfocused images.

Finally I complain to Nikon of their bad ass work and the local dealer offers me a D5100 at a big discount rate after hearing this sucker story.

D5100, SB-900, Nissin Di622 Mark II!!!

MY MISTAKE... I find a ant dead on the focus screen (squashed by the mirror, how the heck did it get their beats me...). I attempt to clean it with a Q-tip with Alcohol... I managed to wipe it away but for some reason a a whitish mark is left on the screen corners, further cleaning and I actually scratched the screen so its now damaged. Ordering a replacement today 21st of January 2013. 42.2$ US

All this work I have done is to take photo's of our local Catholic Church. I have not earned with 100$ from photography but I have spent more than 2500$ on it. I'm a disabled so I want to help God. This writing this I feel like I'm a idiot for all that I have done and become a burden more than a blessing to my parents. I'm 22 years old today.

Welcome! - Queen Of Angels Catholic Church (Rawathawatte Parish) - Moratuwa - Sri Lanka - Our Events Archive currently holds 39089 images in a total of 715 events.

It honestly sounds like you just don't know what you are doing. Hate to be blunt...but that's what I think while reading this. While you may have 2500 in equipment, you don't necessarily have the skill and knowledge it takes to make a good photo. I've got more than 4 grand in equipment and nothing to show for it print/job wise.

It sounds like you are not familiar with the specifications, features, functions, and capabilities of the gear you have had, and how the various features interact.

There are two kinds of auto focus. The very common phase-detection AF, and the less versatile contrast-detection auto focus.

Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaContrast detection

Contrast detection autofocus is achieved by measuring contrast within a sensor field, through the lens. The intensity difference between adjacent pixels of the sensor naturally increases with correct image focus. The optical system can thereby be adjusted until the maximum contrast is detected. In this method, AF does not involve actual distance measurement at all and is generally slower than phase detection systems, especially when operating under dim light. Furthermore, as the autofocus system does not calculate whether the subject is in front focus or back focus, focus tracking is not feasible.
The D5100 does not have Commander mode, nor is Commander mode listed in the specifications for the P7000.

You used the wrong tool to try and clean the focus screen.

I don't think placing blame on Nikon is called for from your description of your troubles. Look closer to home

Most likely, your equipment has not failed you....... you have failed your equipment.

For me, sometimes i have to look in the mirror to see my problem =)

Firstly op happy birthday.

Secondly don't be so hard on yourself. It seems you have spent a lot on equipment and things have not worked out for you, but now that you have ordered your new screen and all that once you get fixed up you can learn from where you went wrong before.Not everyone will make money from photography, that is just the way it is. Try to enjoy yourself and learn how to use your gear now as best you can. Have a nice day

So...you bought mediocre point and shoots and cheap third party flashes, and you are surprised that you're having issues?

And then you buy a quality DSLR and get angry at Nikon because the camera has a flaw, even though, if it was like That right out of the box, the camera should be covered under warranty.

I know people who have invested more money than you into it and they don't have any problems.

You are in the minority, so I highly doubt that all of your troubles are Nikon's fault.

It sounds like you are not familiar with the specifications, features, functions, and capabilities of the gear you have had, and how the various features interact.

There are two kinds of auto focus. The very common phase-detection AF, and the less versatile contrast-detection auto focus.

Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaContrast detection

Contrast detection autofocus is achieved by measuring contrast within a sensor field, through the lens. The intensity difference between adjacent pixels of the sensor naturally increases with correct image focus. The optical system can thereby be adjusted until the maximum contrast is detected. In this method, AF does not involve actual distance measurement at all and is generally slower than phase detection systems, especially when operating under dim light. Furthermore, as the autofocus system does not calculate whether the subject is in front focus or back focus, focus tracking is not feasible.
The D5100 does not have Commander mode, nor is Commander mode listed in the specifications for the P7000.

You used the wrong tool to try and clean the focus screen.
No, you can connect the SB-900 to get commander mode. But if you do it in the P7000 the it will only allow you to have ONE channel.... Master or Group A... so if the wireless flashes fire, the main flash does not! vise versa.

I don't think placing blame on Nikon is called for from your description of your troubles. Look closer to home
I hated the P7000's for their stupid focus issue... its bright day! eye blinding contrast and it just effing misses focus... makes me angry... very very angry.

Indoor shots are horrible...

Look at Confirmation ceremony of the Parish - Students - Queen Of Angels Catholic Church (Rawathawatte Parish) - Moratuwa - Sri Lanka

It was a bright sunny day! Altar was lit with a 1 X 2500W + 2 X 500W halogen bulbs (it was hot like a oven) but yet the P7000 misses focus! PERFECT! Thank God I found software to refocus those missed focus images for the prints. The site has the unfocused images...

So...you bought mediocre point and shoots and cheap third party flashes, and you are surprised that you're having issues?

And then you buy a quality DSLR and get angry at Nikon because the camera has a flaw, even though, if it was like That right out of the box, the camera should be covered under warranty.

I know people who have invested more money than you into it and they don't have any problems.

You are in the minority, so I highly doubt that all of your troubles are Nikon's fault.
Two problems on side of Nikon, they devised a Hot shoe on the P7000 that does not work with non-TTL manual flashes... and made it so that it does not work with DSLR flashes.. seriously WTD? Second, I'm not blaming Nikon for my miserable life in photography, though they have contributed to it with a alien camera that has design flaws and focus issues.

D5100 is my fault.. Its a great product. But as a company Nikon should be responsible for the flaws of the P7000.

Most reactions

Back