Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to spend a few minutes with it being on a camera

Attachments

• DSC_0103.JPG
    DSC_0103.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
Nice Magna, what size/year is it? Looks like this was taken with direct flash which is why the front has a bright harsh light and the back is hardly lit at all. The background is a bit distracting for me as well. This also appears to be taken with a fairly wide angle lens. Wide angle can work for some situations, but typically a more telephoto type lens will show less distortion and make the subject stand out more. Try playing around with different angles. Try shooting low or high, move around the motorcycle to get different perspectives or a different background.

I've provided a few links below to a few shots I've taken of my Suzuki Bandit 1200. Here's a few suggestions based on some things I've learned and experimented with. Be aware of your backgrounds. Even if you have a very nice subject a distracting background can make or break an image. I even went so far as to try a not so typical location for a motorcycle and parked my bike on my back lawn. The grass actually gives the appearance that the motorcycle is lowered and therefore a bit more aggressive stance. I of course also tried shooting from several different angles, and even played around with the angle of the camera by tilting the camera to create a more dramatic effect. This trick works well when photographing a motorcycle when it's sitting on it's side stand as it exaggerates the lean angle. One caveat of doing this though is to ensure that your background won't look too out of place due to it not being level (this was another reason for me using my back lawn).

Bandit Image 1
Bandit Image 2
Bandit Image 3

Getting a really good shot like this with on-camera flash is difficult. Ideally, you want the flash off the camera, and the plane of light parallel to the length of the motorcycle. Notice how bright the front wheel is compared to the tank and the rear of the bike (Read up on the inverse square law for more explanation)? Moving the light would help greatly. If you can't (eg, only have the pop-up flash), then you can diffuse the light (Tupperware, tissue paper) and use some pieces of white card to "guide" it.

Nice Magna, what size/year is it? Looks like this was taken with direct flash which is why the front has a bright harsh light and the back is hardly lit at all. The background is a bit distracting for me as well. This also appears to be taken with a fairly wide angle lens. Wide angle can work for some situations, but typically a more telephoto type lens will show less distortion and make the subject stand out more. Try playing around with different angles. Try shooting low or high, move around the motorcycle to get different perspectives or a different background.

I've provided a few links below to a few shots I've taken of my Suzuki Bandit 1200. Here's a few suggestions based on some things I've learned and experimented with. Be aware of your backgrounds. Even if you have a very nice subject a distracting background can make or break an image. I even went so far as to try a not so typical location for a motorcycle and parked my bike on my back lawn. The grass actually gives the appearance that the motorcycle is lowered and therefore a bit more aggressive stance. I of course also tried shooting from several different angles, and even played around with the angle of the camera by tilting the camera to create a more dramatic effect. This trick works well when photographing a motorcycle when it's sitting on it's side stand as it exaggerates the lean angle. One caveat of doing this though is to ensure that your background won't look too out of place due to it not being level (this was another reason for me using my back lawn).

Bandit Image 1
Bandit Image 2
Bandit Image 3
Thank you for your advice and nice pictures! It's a 1994 Honda Magna 750. First vehicle I'm 16 years old. It only has 7,000 miles because it was bought and stored so very happy.

You want to stay alive ride that thing in the middle of the road!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445073552.361311.jpg
I love Magna's been riding them since early 90s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back