My new car - BMW M3 Convertible

DefenseEngineer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.defenseengineering.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pictures of my new car. First attempt, taken today. I've never really done car photography before. Advice is welcomed.

Nikon D200
18-70mm DX with polarizer on all expect the close-up of the ///M3 logo. That was a 105mm Macro. Oh, and I took off the polarizer for the very last photograph.

2916473713_2f9be8e553_o.jpg

2917317276_5eba9ed954_o.jpg

2917317172_c895252f49_o.jpg

2916473413_0141d2608e_o.jpg

My dream car... I envy you greatly. Concerning your website... are you in the Army?

i think i may hate you :D

i think i'd like the last two with no flash
#1 just makes me green with envy
#2 i'd rather see an urban backdrop there - the trees distract me

just my humble opinion though - all nice shots regardless
still pissed because you're driving around in my car :D

Congratz on the new car - nice photos too - time to put the camera in the back and just drive drive drive and then drive some more..... then take out the camera again :)

Nice choice of car

shots are nice my favorite is the last one i agree they would look better with out flash

Here is the same setup without the flash. I personally didn't like it because there is no detail in the car. The color of the car is "Carbon Black" which makes night photography a little difficult.

2919014859_279a164a62_o.jpg

And this one is a 3-photo HDR without a flash.

2919039219_11e31bcc5a_o.jpg

I'm open for opinions as to whether or not these are an improvement and why or why not.

As far as the compliments on the car, Mahalo! I really appreciate it. I worked hard to eventually afford this car. I was looking at a new one. But I didn't want the gas gusseling V8 the new one has. The E46 model (inline 6 cylinder) was perfect for me. Still insanely fast, yet reasonable fuel economy when on the highway.

cszakolczai,
No. Until recently, I worked for the Honolulu District of the US Army Corps of Engineers. Through that job, I spent a good part of 2007 in Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan. Upon my return, I started hating my job. So, I found a better one that moved me to the east coast. I just bought the car and my new house (just moved into the house this week). I'm looking forward to a road trip to see the changing leaves in two weeks. I haven't seen fall leaves for six years!

Aloha!
DE

Last edited:
German cars :thumbup:

I agree the flash is disturbing, but without, the car is too dark.

you would need a large very diffuse light source.

Would putting one or two flashes firing into umbrellas help? Using my light stands, I could get the umbrellas about 3 meters in the air to have the light falling down onto the car. Thoughts about this?

I am not an expert on night car photography ;) but my guess would be that umbrellas will improve it. and try to avoid too many light reflexes into the camera ... some might be ok, but too many will mess up the image IMHO.

One more question, if I may. On another message board, I got torn apart for my "...apparent egregious use of on-camera flash..." I remote fired the flash. But that's beside the point. Let's concentrate on this picture and the use of the flash.

Can someone give me specifics as to why my flash use in this one is so horrible? I just don't get why it is so bad that several people have stated they hate it. If someone can point me to specific reasons, I would appreciate it.

Maryland is a nice place, I've been down there a few times. Nice car again.

One more question, if I may. On another message board, I got torn apart for my "...apparent egregious use of on-camera flash..." I remote fired the flash. But that's beside the point. Let's concentrate on this picture and the use of the flash.

Can someone give me specifics as to why my flash use in this one is so horrible? I just don't get why it is so bad that several people have stated they hate it. If someone can point me to specific reasons, I would appreciate it.

I think the people were able to point it out from the really hard light on the car. Umbrellas would be one way to soften the light up.

nice car !!

simple fix without buying 5K of photo equip

your shooting from the wrong side , put the sun behind you and the car in front of you and youll see what im talking about.

plus seeing the sunset distracts from the car big time, the other way you can see it in the reflection.

Most reactions

Back