My new favorite hawk

Love these. Fav is definitely the one with the mockingbird. Too funny.
Thank you JR!
These are very beautiful birds shot in gorgeous weather! I like the fact that the blue skies and natural colors of the trees enhanced the shots even more! Especially #1 and #4, what lens did you use for the shots?
1,4,5,6,8 Were D7100 and Tamron 70-200 USD VC
The others are D800 and Tamron 150-600...

I absolutely love #3. It is my new favorite hawk also.
Thank you Gary!
Nice set! The hawks are all over the place up here the last few weeks.
There has been a large influx of raptors and it is awesome to see! Any SEO or Snowies up that way yet? We had one sighting down here so far (SEO)

No Snowies yet. I'm checking local sighting on the web couple times a day. Went looking for some Harlequin ducks today but tide was way out.

"I will name him George and I will hug him and squeeze him and pat him and pet him and rub him and caress him."

great photos of that hawk. amazing that you could get that close..

"I will name him George and I will hug him and squeeze him and pat him and pet him and rub him and caress him."
I wish this was George, but George grew up and moved on:(

Great shots as always.

Thanks again everyone!
I LOVE #4... just when he spots something and goes for it! I'm curious, out of a shoot on any given day, how many frames do you shoot and how many do you keep? You seem to have a pretty high keeper rate with the consistent quality of your shots!
I shoot a lot. I have shot as many as 1500 frames in a day. Generally around 400-700 is my average. I often take 20-30 shots of the same image to choose the correct head angle/sharpness, etc...

#4 is my favorite, got a real sense of action there! it's like watching a bullet being fired from a rifle in slo mo. :) I think it's a tad overexposed though, but it's just nitpicking. :)
Perhaps, but I don't think the hawk is? I shoot with spot metering and try to get the bird exposed correctly and let the background do whatever it does, lol..

Love these shots Coastal,,,,my favorite is #2 just for the gore factor. :)
Gotta love mole brain, huh? :)

Cool set as usual!

I don't see how you can run around the sticks with 2 bodies equipped with telephoto glass. That just sounds painful to me lol Anyhow, I'm glad to see the D800 is working out for you. It's getting winter time here and they tell me some Bald Eagles has started nesting about 30 mins or so from town during the winter months. So i'm going to give it a shot with my D800. All i've got is a 70-200 VR II w/1.7 TC though. Hopefully it's enough to get something decent. I may go rent something else but not sure yet.

I wish a hawk would get that close to me, for a photo. Every time I get within 100 yards of one, it takes off!
They are incredible photos! :)

gorgeous shots..wow!!

Most reactions

Back