jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got this kayak to see if I could get some better bird shots from the lake, or on the local waterways. As it is, out in the open, the birds still scatter, but I plan on making good use of this kayak in other places as well. It's a very lightweight origami kayak from Oru, weighing in at 18 lbs. It is very stable and turns quite easily. Next time, I will be launching from a dock or boat ramp, because I discovered that the mud along the lake edge is six inches deep and very, very soft.

1 Nicely packaged up.
aug27202201 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 Unpacked and folded into shape. It is about 9 feet long.
aug27202202 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Hi Jeff

Sounds pretty nifty ... I presume it's strong enough for you / someone to go around carefully
Phil

Hi Jeff

Sounds pretty nifty ... I presume it's strong enough for you / someone to go around carefully
Phil
Yes, it is very sturdy in spite of it's weight, and it has a flat bottom, so it is very stable on the water. It easily holds myself and my gear.

Looks like fun! Just getting out in the water should give you lots of new and different angles from which to shoot. Pointing towards the shoreline instead of from it could be interesting!

Nice Kayak. You should have some fun with it. My wife and I got a couple of inflatable kayaks and enjoy them. I look forward to seeing your shots. Good luck with it.

I'd still tip it over. But looks cool

Congrats and good luck. Can't wait to see some of the shots you get from it.

Clearly a man of confidence. I think I would also worry about ending up in the water trying to save my gear. Looks to be a sort of origami construction. Presumably very light weight?

I can imagine the choice words thought/spoken in that mud😋
Yeah, it was not fun. Almost lost my water shoes in the stuff.
Looks like fun! Just getting out in the water should give you lots of new and different angles from which to shoot. Pointing towards the shoreline instead of from it could be interesting!
I'm really hoping for some new opportunities. I've been house-bound for the past month due to the extreme heat, so I'm looking forward to getting back out there.
Nice Kayak. You should have some fun with it. My wife and I got a couple of inflatable kayaks and enjoy them. I look forward to seeing your shots. Good luck with it.
Looking forward to getting out, that is for sure!
I'd still tip it over. But looks cool
😆
Pretty spiffy!
Thanks!
Congrats and good luck. Can't wait to see some of the shots you get from it.
Thanks!
Clearly a man of confidence. I think I would also worry about ending up in the water trying to save my gear. Looks to be a sort of origami construction. Presumably very light weight?
Yes, it is an origami kayak, made of a single sheet of treated double-layer polypropylene. It is flat bottomed, so it is very stable, and one would really have to work at it to flip it over. That's not to say that it is impossible. It weighs in at 18 lbs, so very easy to carry from the car to the water's edge. It's open nature makes it susceptible to taking on water from boat wake when at the shore, but is ok out on the open water. My Canon 90D and Tamron lens are water/splash resistant, so I'm not overly concerned, and I have a waterproof backpack for the rest of the gear. I probably would not take my Sigma lenses out, since they are not water/splash resistant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back