My New "studio" need your opinion

RiderOnTheStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well it's more of my "photography corner really.

I wanted to start getting into portraits but at the moment I could not afford a good backdrop stand and all the lighting equipment necessary to take portraits. So... I went the DIY route;)

All for under $10. I had two lamps laying around so I thought I could use them to play with shadows and what not. I also made some sort of hood for the spot light at the top to make it more directional, it is wrapped on the inside with foil.

Anyway... To my rookie eye it looks functional.... but I wanted to know what do you guys think?? Is this just a recipe for disaster? What would you think if you where to come in there for a shoot?

I am planning on offering free portraits to begin this venture but I am not sure of what would people think... maybe they wouldn't notice but who knows..

yes.. you are allowed to laugh..:wink:
be brutal please :)

dsc0004qs3.jpg

dsc0005cb3.jpg

dsc0006ho3.jpg

dsc0007qw0.jpg

dsc0008je8.jpg

Good job with this, nothing like taking things into your own hands :)

To be brutal, if I came into your studio, I would probably be wondering what I have gotten involved in with the smaller lamp. The backdrop looks fine, the 'snoot' like lamp is functional, the lamp, not so much.

Studio lights will generally have umbrellas or softboxes to diffuse the light as this is generally the most 'flattering' type of light if that makes sense? The two headed lamp will not be giving the desired affect and will likely cast quite a bad orange cast to the pictures.

That being said, you never know until you try! Bring in a friend and go at it! Sometimes the unconventional is the best thing.

One other possible idea is if you have a garage, set up a studio in there. With the backdrop you can pin it on the wall, take a white board (the foam posterboard you can pick up for $1 at the local craft store) and reflect the light back onto the face. Doesn't work all too bad.

Here are two 'garage studio' images
993947182_93928b0d59.jpg

986800818_daeaeacc1a.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back