What's new

My next lens

AmberNikol

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
5
Location
PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking into getting another lens. I'm wondering what everyone thinks would be my best bet.
It will be only my second lens. The one lens that I do have, came with my camera, 18-105mm

I have the Nikon D90(don't know if that matters or not)

I've looked at the 18-200, but I've heard they are pretty similar? So maybe that wouldn't be a good choice. I'd like something that would give me something different or more zoom.
 
you could get a fast prime, when i got mine, the 18-105 stayed in the bag for a long long time
 
Okay, maybe a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to the whole terms...what is a fast prime?
 
a non zoom lens with a wide aperture. something like a 50mm 1.8 is common, as is a 35mm 1.8. i prefer the 35mm because i get a 50mm lens with the 1.6x crop factor.
 
Thank you ghache! I appreciate it.

Is there a certain brand that would be better to get for those fast prime?
 
So I'm looking into getting another lens. I'm wondering what everyone thinks would be my best bet.
It will be only my second lens. The one lens that I do have, came with my camera, 18-105mm

You could get an extra wide angle lens (like the 10-24mm), or get a longer zoom (like to 55-300 or 70-300).
 
Thank you ghache! I appreciate it.

Is there a certain brand that would be better to get for those fast prime?


I would go with a nikon since there are fairly cheap in the 1.8 version
Once you go 1.4 which is alot more expensive, considering 3rd party like tamron, sigma and tokina is an option. they also make good quality primes fairly priced.
 
So I'm looking into getting another lens. I'm wondering what everyone thinks would be my best bet.
It will be only my second lens. The one lens that I do have, came with my camera, 18-105mm

You could get an extra wide angle lens (like the 10-24mm), or get a longer zoom (like to 55-300 or 70-300).


true, if you like landscape photography, a wide angle would be a good choice.
i just got a 12-24 tokina and i LOVE IT
 
Thanks everyone for your advice, it really helps.
 
I don't want to direct this response only to you so please don't feel targeted. The "what lens should I get next?" should really be qualified by what the photographer likes to photograph, the budget allocated to the purchase and what, if anything, is not adequate with the already owned equipment. These simple bits of extra information will go a long way towards helping responders formulate a sensible answer. Otherwise you will get so many different answers with price tags up to thousands and none of which really appropriate, leaving you, the OP dazed and confused, and the responders tired of fielding the same unanswerable questions.
 
+1 to Patrice's point. Any new lens or big of gear needs some justification beyond "its good" otherwise it just won't get used. Work out where you feel your setup is lacking and then you have some criteria with which to sort the results otherwise its just going to be a mess of suggestions without giving you a specific way to work out which is for you.

For example do you feel that you need more zoom (focal length) or maybe less? Do you feel that you're ok for range, but want sharper shots in a certain focal range?
 
The "what lens should I get next?" should really be qualified by what the photographer likes to photograph, the budget allocated to the purchase and what, if anything, is not adequate with the already owned equipment. These simple bits of extra information will go a long way towards helping responders formulate a sensible answer.
Thank you. I was just about to ask "What are you finding inadequate about your existing lens?"

With the D90, either AF-S or AF -D lenses will be fully functional on the OP's camera.

Something like the $200 AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G or the $125 AF 50mm f/1.8D would provide a large aperture for shooting indoors without a flash and for shooting with a shallow depth of field for portraits.

The $459 Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 would replace the kit lens for wide-to-normal use with a constant f/2.8 aperture.

The $400 Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC, the $220 AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR or the $1000 AF 80-200mm f/2.8D would provide more telephoto reach than the kit lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom