My Photo to Critique

PhotosInParadise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
image.jpeg
I have owned my Canon T5i since November 2015, my first venture into improving my skills. I am retired now and have more time. I have always taken photos, captured my 3 kids growing up with a Poloroid. Was happy and gave absolutely no thoughT to things like lighting. Over the last few years I have gotten 2 long haired Shih Tzu, one cream colored, one black. I was taking photos of the cream with my iphone, happily, and then got the black dog. He showed up as having no face detail, sooo, now I have the Canon DSLR. Still trying to capture a good outside photo of him, but I hope to learn more as I go along.

I shoot in raw and am so happy with the photos I take of my cream Shih atzu. This one was shot with my 24-70 mm f/4L. I use these setting because I am also taking photos of the faster moving black one, Tv mode, f4, 1/1000, ISO 400. I use Affinity Photo to PP and am constantly amazed that when I bring up the cream dog's photos, I can just hit Develop, without adjusting anything. Not always but mostly. I am sure as I go along my learning journey, I will look back and see my inexperience showing but for know, I sure wish I could capture my black dog this good. This photo was cropped, nothing else. Please critique.

Thank you so much. Helps me see that now!

I was thinking the same thing as John margetts. Would be nice to have more room in front of the dog for him to walk into so to speak.

Also note that the front of the dog is darker than the rest.
And there seems to be a reflection of the color from his top know onto his muzzle.

upload_2016-3-26_11-22-44.png

@The Traveler, Not sure I understand what happened here with this pink showing. If I blow up my photo above I see her face as it is in real life, her watering eyes stain the beard slightly red. That's just characteristics of the breed. If I blow up the pic in your post, I see a whiter face, no red stains but with the pink top knot reflection.

Know where the sun is in relation to your subject and have the subject face the light.
It appears the sun was to the left and back a bit so the back of the dog is better lighted than the face. The colors in the face are correct just need to be a bit brighter. IMHO

Thanks, I went out today with the dogs. I am always aware of the sun but its hard to get them to cooperate, guess I need more patience.

Most reactions

Back