My photographic failure of the week

Jarrod268

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tend to post photos I've shot that I like so I decided to do something a little different.

I was driving home last night, saw a great sky and a subject. I pulled over on an exit ramp off of the interstate and shot this.
It had been a long weekend, I was rushing and this was the result: I missed the focus on each and every shot. UGGH! Sure there are many other problems but that was the one that stuck out in all of my shots.

No matter the circumstances, don't lose sight of your "in-field" workflow. I think this should could have been "ok", not great but ok - if I had not screwed it up so bad.
It's been slightly (understatement haha) sharpened to try to correct it.

p254931099-4.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion, the fact that it's not as sharp as it perhaps could have been isn't very important in this one. It is not the sharpness of the scene that makes it appealing. It's the sky, the trees, the houses and the way the correlate Your composition is very nice, I think. All in all, not a failure, not at all. I don't know your ambitions, but if I got this shot, I'd be happy with it. However, I can relate to the feeling of knowing you could have improved a shot much more with a rookie mistake as not focusing correctly :)

On the plus side, your logo is well exposed and appears to be in focus. I'm assuming that is the subject of this photo as it is the largest thing in the scene.

A little more exposure on the foreground I think would have made this image much more dramatic. Would have been a great candidate for HDR. Love the sky though.

thanks, it was shot in RAW, I can bring out the foreground easily.

I wish MY "photographic failure" of the week looked like that!!

I wouldn't dare post my most recent failure...it was doing my first-ever portrait session (kinda--not "official" just for my niece), outside, in bright sunlight, at NOON (NOT by my choice)...that was bad enough, but the REAL failure part was when, during a "break" to let my niece feed the baby, I took about 12 really nice candid shots of two of the family members, only to realize later that we'd moved from sunlight to complete shadow, and I'd totally forgotten to change my settings! Duh! I've semi-recovered a couple of them in PS, but I'm not skilled enough with my post skills to really FIX them, if that's even possible.

Yours might not make the cover of National Geo (or even the inside)...but it's definitely NOT a Fail!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back