TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Unedited
Billsolo-05.jpg

Edited
Billsolo-07a.jpg

More contrast
Billsolo-08copy.jpg

I personally like the third one more, but it feels like it could be sharper in my opinion. The added contrast definitely helps to separate your dog from the rest of the image. It seems like you were focused on his mouth, but his eyes are a bit more blurry because of that, so I would try either closing the aperture down some, or focusing on the eyes next time.

I really like that shot :) Your dog looks pretty chill haha.

Third one looks great, did you also use some unsharp mask... if not, add a touch maybe?

3rd one looks nice but would like to see his/her ears. In the 2nd, you could stop down (bigger number) a stop or two--nose is sharp but eyes are fading due to DOF, not focus issues. Like how you warmed up the tones/White balance in PP, the raw shot is pretty cold.

If you were using natural light indoors it may be a challenge stoping down (less light, your both going to need to be really still). Might try to get similar shots outside with a neutral background or bounce flash off the cieling. The neutral background is nice, not 100 things going on back there to distract.

cute dog. I like the first one best. As other have said, make sure you focus on the eyes for this type of shot (the second one is not as great for this reason). The eyes in focus is one of those rules for animal photography that can really not be safely broken

I'm not a fan of either of them, mainly because the composition in the frame is so tight, due to his head / ears being cut off. Was this done intentionally?

As mentionned, I also saw the issues with DOF in the photos where the nose is sharp but the eyes are not. When doing portraits, people or animals, 95% of the time you want to get the eyes tack sharp. This is what the viewers eye's will look for, and if its not sharp, the photo comes off as a miss.

Are you using auto focus?

Read up on only using your center AF point and how to half click and recompose.

Make sure to always focus on the eyes that is very important. It really would have helped out that 2 and 3 shot. GL
TJ

Most reactions

Back