My review of the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod legs

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just posted this review/images to my site

Majeed Badizadegan Photography | My review of the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod legs

Review Cliffnotes:

Pros:

• The legs easily slide up and down for fast set-up and take-down
  • The legs easily lock into 5 different positions to allow for stabilization in uneven terrain (e.g. setting one leg against a boulder, and the other two against the ground). A very intuitive push-to-adjust, and release-to-lock system. The Gitzo legs I tried required the user to pull out a metal piece, adjust the leg, and then push the piece back in: All in order to perform this same basic function.
  • Rugged, parts replaceable
  • Center column allows for low work and versatility (You can get the camera on the ground with this tripod, it just requires a few steps)

Cons:

• Center column makes getting low to the ground a multi-step process, and it can get in the way.

Last edited:
I have these legs as well with the 498RC2 head. I haven't put it through as grueling a test as you, but I agree it's a great set.

Nice review!

I have these legs as well with the 498RC2 head. I haven't put it through as grueling a test as you, but I agree it's a great set.

Nice review!
Same setup here. Love it. And I'll use the ball head on the Manfrotto 681B monopod that's on the way!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I love my 055XPROB. Manfrotto made a short center column, 055CCS, that's only 17.5 cm (about 7") high. I've seen a few on ebay for around $45 US

I have the same set of legs with the 498 ballhead as well. My complaints; Legs are not as stable as I'd like (and the ballhead not as smooth) but for the price, can't go too wrong.

I got the tripod and 498RC2 head last month and love it, so far no complaints. To date I have not had to extend the center column which to me has been real nice. I also have an older Manfrotto 679 Monopod and 484RC2 head which has served me well the last 6 years

For their price they are a very good and popular set of legs. That said I'd share the sentiment that if you want to go low then the centre column setup, whilst innovative, is more of a pain than if you were able to just remove it and bolt the tripod head to the middle of the legs directly. Having a long arm that waggles around at low heights can be problematic, plus the setup is such that if you've any weight in your camera+tripod head then you have to have the head positioned right near the middle anyway rather than extended away from the middle.

I love my 055XPROB. Manfrotto made a short center column, 055CCS, that's only 17.5 cm (about 7") high. I've seen a few on ebay for around $45 US

That might be worth looking into. I rarely use the center column. It's nice to have the option.

I got the tripod and 498RC2 head last month and love it, so far no complaints. To date I have not had to extend the center column which to me has been real nice. I also have an older Manfrotto 679 Monopod and 484RC2 head which has served me well the last 6 years

I don't extend the center column unless I need to get really low to the ground for some reason.

For their price they are a very good and popular set of legs. That said I'd share the sentiment that if you want to go low then the centre column setup, whilst innovative, is more of a pain than if you were able to just remove it and bolt the tripod head to the middle of the legs directly. Having a long arm that waggles around at low heights can be problematic, plus the setup is such that if you've any weight in your camera+tripod head then you have to have the head positioned right near the middle anyway rather than extended away from the middle.

When the column is extended at all, the stability is dramatically reduced. But it's still better than nothing :)

Most reactions

Back