My setup.. ( With pics )

BmDubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heres a picture of the setup Im getting. It will be here tomorrow ( Im stoked )

Nikon d80

The lenses that come with it are:
18-55mm
55mm
18-200mm

Also some "filters" but I forget which types.. Tripod.. Remote.. Charger.. Carrying Case.. Remote.. and more

This is my first REAL camera setup. Have read good reviews. Does anyone here own / use one that I can give me some info? I want a camera that will produce high quality pictures and also last me a long time. Thanks so much guys

mini-camera.jpg

Looks like youre starting out strong. The D80 is a great camera. The filters look like either a circular polarizer or neutral density filter and a skylight/UV filter for protection. Great starter setup!

Mark

Cool. Thanks man. I did some research before opting for this setup.. I was originally going to get a D60, but this offer came up to me and I couldnt pass it up. Also Ive been a Nikon fan for a long time. I use Nikon Binoculars and spotting scope, as well as Nikon Rifle scopes on all of my rifles, and slug guns..

I have Nikon binoculars and love them also. Youre not going to get outstanding results with the flash included, but its better than nothing. You can also resell everything you dont use too. Good luck!

Mark

I don't think that flash will serve you long, nor will the superzoom or standard zoom if you will dig in deeper into photography.
Your set is a tipical point and shoot set.

I don't think that flash will serve you long, nor will the superzoom or standard zoom if you will dig in deeper into photography.
Your set is a tipical point and shoot set.

What are wrong with the included lenses? I just am super new and dont know a good lense from... ya know lol

Theyre stock lenses. Stock lenses generally arently as great as they could be. Dont be scared though. Those lenses will do a beginner just fine. Get used to them before you go buying different lenses. You can
iInvest in a Nikon 50mm F/1.8 or F/1.4. Theyre gerat lenses and you will find many, many uses for it. A good, fast telephoto lens would be good too. Sorry if im overwhelming you with terms. I would highly suggest the Nikon 50mm though. Or you could sell both and get the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens.

Mark

Theyre stock lenses. Stock lenses generally arently as great as they could be. Dont be scared though. Those lenses will do a beginner just fine. Get used to them before you go buying different lenses. You can
iInvest in a Nikon 50mm F/1.8 or F/1.4. Theyre gerat lenses and you will find many, many uses for it. A good, fast telephoto lens would be good too. Sorry if im overwhelming you with terms. I would highly suggest the Nikon 50mm though. Or you could sell both and get the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens.

Mark

For future reference.. About how much would these lenses sell for ( When I wanna " upgrade " )

One tip is to keep an eye on the D80's light metering decisions when in Matrix mode--the D80 sometimes tends to expose things a bit "hot". Sometimes.

I suggest you read this review by a noted,capable Nikon expert who has written 19 published Nikon field guides. it'll give you a very thorough understanding of the D80's strengths and weakneses.

Nikon D80 Review by Thom Hogan

the nikon 50mm f/1.8 is about the best quality lens you buy for the money. it only costs around $100 (i saw around b/c used prices vs new vs different sites). i have mine and absolutely love it, it is soo sharp and clear and the 1.8 is nice to have. although i have heard that people like the 50mm f/1.4 even more, it does cost about $400 more (i think)

i actually disagree about the stock lens being not the greatest. i think it will serve you very well and is an all around good lens. yea its not for the pro's but then im assuming you not a pro. it has a great range and is even quite sharp at close range.

i would not suggest the 18-200 nikon lens because there is just too much glass- it basically tries to cover too much 'ground' and a lot is lost in image quality. i think you would be much better off with the kit lens (18-55) and a nice telephoto, something like a 55-200 (about $200 i think) VR or 70-200 f/2.8 (these are expensive though like $1000)

it looks like he is already being hooked up with a 50mm 1.8 in the package, if im not mistaken its the pic on the lower right. Great setup though, i have the 50 mm on my D40 and it works well, although it really shines when i toss it on my dads D80 and the AF works, SNAP AWAY!

Most reactions

Back